Fused socket for Immersion Heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, newbie here!

I have just had a new boiler fitted. The plumber would not wire up the Immersion Heater as it 'did not have a fused socket' and obviously could not wire it up as he would then take responsibilty etc etc. All perfectly reasonable given the circumstances.

I like to think i am pretty handy with this sort of thing and would have a go myself. What exactly does he mean?

The Immersion Heater is on a dedicated circuit straight from the CU (don't let the abbreviation fool you into thinking i am an expert lol!). There is an MCB (lol! another one) for it rated at 16amps. Next to the boiler there is one of those large red switches with an LED on (damn! gave it away now!). My question is what else do i need?

Is it something like this?

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-1613-13-Amp-Switched-Fused-Connection-Unit-With-Neon.html

If so, what should it be rated at?

Most grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I have just had a new boiler fitted.
I think you might mean "tank", or "cylinder", not "boiler".

Next to the boiler there is one of those large red switches with an LED on (damn! gave it away now!). My question is what else do i need?
It depends on the rating of that existing switch, but it's likely that you can use it.

Is it something like this?

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-...-Fused-Connection-Unit-With-Neon.html[/QUOTE]
That would replace any existing switch, and it's a perfectly suitable accessory for what you're doing. Personally, I'd buy a branded one rather than the one at that web site.

If so, what should it be rated at?
If you mean the fuse, then it should be a 13 Amp one.

I would also ensure that the flex from FCU to immersion heater is butyl sheathed, not ordinary PVC coated flex.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's why I asked!

Some older ones are in excess of 3 kW, hence they were on a 15A fuse with a DP switch, not an FCU.

I think you might mean "tank", or "cylinder", not "boiler"..

Oops. blew it on the first sentence. Yes, i mean Hot Water Tank, sorry must have been thinking of the wife!

That would replace any existing switch, and it's a perfectly suitable accessory for what you're doing. Personally, I'd buy a branded one rather than the one at that web site.
If you mean the fuse, then it should be a 13 Amp one.

I would also ensure that the flex from FCU to immersion heater is butyl sheathed, not ordinary PVC coated flex.

Many thanks for the advice. I will replace the existing switch with a branded double-pole switch rated at 13A. I've got some of that heat-resistant cable left over.

Ask for an MK K330-WHI, "13amp double pole switched fuse-connection unit" at your stockist, they cost around five to six pounds each.

For a 3kW (13amp) element, you need a 13amp fuse in it too. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, that's why I asked!

Some older ones are in excess of 3 kW, hence they were on a 15A fuse with a DP switch, not an FCU.
Hm. I stand corrected. I've only ever seen ones >3kW on Heizers.

The neon light adds a horrendous chunk to the price for no significant (IMO) usefulness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back