fused spur to fan over cooker??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
abit of advice, a friend wants a cooker fan installing and i was going to put itin a fused spur but the socket was already has a spur off it...can i spur off the same socket twice or is this a no no??? cheers lads n lasses ;)

Sponsored Links
oh right :cry: why? if its fused why is it a problem? sorry for the questions, wouldn't the fuse blow if there was a problem?...only other thing i can think of would be could i put a plug on the cable from the extractor???

Sponsored Links
It depends what the existing spur is used for.

If it is a low current load then there is a way you can.

From the socket, make the first thing a fused spur. From the Load terminals of this, take a 2.5mm radial (which is now fused at 13A or less) with additional FCUs on it, each fused and feeding one appliance.

This works OK if they are all little loads like lamps or extractors and individually fused at 3A or 5A. If you start to put big loads like oven and heaters on it then you can expecte the fuse to blow.

As you say it is being done in a kitchen then you need to notify the local authority building control office.

In a kitchen I think it is preferable to run the ring (or radial) along the wall 150mm above counter height, with plenty of sockets and FCUs on it, and no need for spurs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back