Future work on a house with no previous planning application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is already addressed elsewhere!

I'm in the process of buying a house that searches have shown to have no planning applications for a kitchen extension and extension over the house's side alley.
We are planning to get a full structural survey and obtain details regarding age of the works etc We'll also get indemnity insurance so I am not overly concerned about the current situation unless I am being really naive about the whole thing???
The only question/worry I have is what implications this will have on any work we carry out on the house in the future? We will eventually want to do a loft extension (in 5+ years say) but in the not too distant future we were hoping to turn the internal garage into a living space (the garage is on the side of the building that has been extended over the side alley).
So basically, will I have to get retrospective planning permission or a certificate of lawfulness on the old work, (and hence, fork out for any associated work that might be needed) before I can get permission on future work?

Thanks in advance for any advise you guys may offer me!

Sponsored Links
Many rear extensions these days are exempt from planning but it depends on the size. Side extensions do mostly need planning.
So if you do not have this in place it would be good to get retrospective planning permission just to be safe, especially if you want to convert into the near future.

Good luck!

If the extension has been there for more than 4 years, don't even bother about applying for anything. You can convert the garage anyway.

If the extension has been there for more than 4 years, don't even bother about applying for anything. You can convert the garage anyway.

hi-not hijacking the thread-just in the same situation

just wondering.. if any new work was joined to some existing extension that hadnt been through planning or building regs would it still be best no to apply for permissions or bypass them and try to avoid employing the local authority to doing their bit of causing major disruption or apply for new permissions and building control and hope that they dont interfere with the existing unregulated structure(s)?

we have an undisclosed side extension and a rear extension that we want to join together with another extension and would really want building regs involved but dont want them to go overboard on these 2 10 year old extensions..

Sponsored Links
we have an undisclosed side extension and a rear extension that we want to join together with another extension and would really want building regs involved but dont want them to go overboard on these 2 10 year old extensions..

If you are effectively joining them together, then you have a 'wrap round' which would need planning permission, not just Building Regs.

But they wouldn't be able to do anything about the existing extensions - they could only consider the infill bit in the context of the whole development.

But why bother? Get a private inspector in for your building control, though be aware they still have to notify the council of the work. My experience of these things is that they usually slip below the radar anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back