Gable end re-point or pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

I live in a 60's semi-detached in Halifax. Quite high up so it takes a bit of a beating from the wind and rain etc.

The brick work is beginning to spall quite badly and the pointing on the gable has just about had it.

I am thinking the bricks are going to keep spalling over time so am thinking about getting it rendered/pebbledashed

What would be cheaper? Repointing and replacing bricks or pebbledashing?

Ta

Ben

Sponsored Links
To be honest I think the pebble dash will be slightly more expensive but I don't think there will be much in it so I would go with what you would prefer the most ?

To be honest I think the pebble dash will be slightly more expensive but I don't think there will be much in it so I would go with what you would prefer the most ?

The pebble dash will give the wall more protection from the weather than brick-work. Pebble-dash and rough cast is reccomended in "exposed" areas more so than flat rendering, as it disperse's the rain water better.

Another point to watch for. If you plan to scratch coat/roughcast over old spalled brickwork, you will really need to make sure that all/any of the loose spalling brickface is removed, otherwise you'll be coating over areas of un-sound brickwork, which could cause problems down the line. I'd check the whole thing if it was me. Good prep is the key to the job,,, i'd give it a good old scabble/scutch. I don't think either job will come cheap, there's a lot of work in removing and replacing spalled bricks with new, plus the repointing,,, and then, will the replaced bricks match in with the existing?? plus, either job,, roughcasting or re-pointing etc will involve scaffolding,, that's not cheap either. Food for thought though, and good luck with your job.

Sponsored Links
Why not look at StoneFXwalls for re-brick facing. Looks like a new wall, its not a concrete layer like render or pebbledash so damp will breath through it. AND it will retain the value of your home.

If yur building is open to weather, the last thing you want is a none porous sand and cementg layer that will probably blow off within a couple of years.

Cheap options for this issue is not the answer.

Thanks for the replies!

I've had a guy round this AM to give me a quote to pebble dash the gable.

Comes well recommended and has done a few houses by me over the last 20 yrs

He mentioned a few other bits that need doing as well.

He was saying my house is built from "London Brick" and it is well known for being porous.

Just got to wait for the quote now. Have a feeling I'll be going to see the bank manager :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back