Gable end rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partners gable end has bowed inwards due to the heat from the chimney. Rather than re-brick from the soffit's upwards I'm going to attempt to render to cure the problem. This will be my first attempt at rendering (I've done odd plastering jobs) so any advice is welcome.

How thick can render be applied? What's the best ratio's for first and second coats? How long should be left between coats? What's best for finishing the bottom edge? How do I work out quantities? I have a float, hawk, straight edge; anything else needed?

Thanking you in advance guys :)

Sponsored Links
sidneylarkin said:
My partners gable end has bowed inwards due to the heat from the chimney. Rather than re-brick from the soffit's upwards I'm going to attempt to render to cure the problem.

This will disguise the symptoms, not cure the problem. Brick walls are very heavy, they cause some bother if they decide to move on their own.

This will be my first attempt at rendering (I've done odd plastering jobs) so any advice is welcome.

Here is a good starter.

How thick can render be applied? What's the best ratio's for first and second coats? How long should be left between coats? What's best for finishing the bottom edge? How do I work out quantities? I have a float, hawk, straight edge; anything else needed?

Er.... knowledge and practice?

Sponsored Links
Need advise on cost of removal from front and gable end of house, probably pebbledahed before 1973 when I move in. Now bits have fallen off and it looks a mess.Would like walls back to brick as in conservation area and only house covered in this horrible stuff. Suspect it covers god knows what. Please help suggesting best way forward after it has gone . Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back