Gable end ridge tiles and slate DAMAGE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years back a builder used ridge tiles on the slates at the gable end. They protrude out into space and probably contribute to the houses long standing internal damp problem. It's not just damp, all internal end walls erupt with brown tarry bubbles and stains have destroyed the walls leading to an absolutely disastrous situation with seemingly no solution and potentially creating dangerous living conditions. There are two log burners and I suspect the liners are shot also.the real issue is funding.there is no way of paying to fix this bar a lottery win. This is part bye and bye but puts the following into context. The aforementioned ridge tiles on the gable end have blown off in a tornado, Inc 20 odd slates...a wall and tree were also flattened...impressive, but what a mess. Only slates on one side of the pitched roof have been affected. A builder has quoted to replace gable end ridge tiles on both sides of pitch and probably 4 deep slates both sides. This is open to further findings, however on the unaffected side I see this as part don't fix if not broken, although overhanging miss set gable end tiles need doing but do 4 deep slates considering some disruption if slates will inevitably occur. I, will post more about the stain tar problem again as it's a 15 year standing problem and more complicated than stated here. 4k quote for roof....does all this need doing? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back