Gainsborough 9.5se electric shower boils when water flow turned off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new Gainsborough electric shower to put on as a direct replacement for my old Gainsborough shower which stopped letting water through. The new one lets water through fine but wouldn't heat up at all so I took it down and rang Gainsborough, intending to send it back. They told me to put it back on and they'd send someone to look at it in-situ. I've put it back and now it heats up but won't stop heating when the water flow is turned off: it boils until I send water through to cool it down and I have to turn it off at the pull chord. Have I done something stupidly wrong? I don't want to have to pay for a needless callout.

Sponsored Links
I've just bought a new Gainsborough electric shower to put on as a direct replacement for my old Gainsborough shower which stopped letting water through. The new one lets water through fine but wouldn't heat up at all so I took it down and rang Gainsborough, intending to send it back. They told me to put it back on and they'd send someone to look at it in-situ. I've put it back and now it heats up but won't stop heating when the water flow is turned off: it boils until I send water through to cool it down and I have to turn it off at the pull chord. Have I done something stupidly wrong? I don't want to have to pay for a needless callout.
It should never 'boil', and it should never even turn its heating element on when there is no water flow. It sounds very much like a duff unit.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John.
Just wanted to check that there wasn't something I'm missing, as Gainsborough said I'll have to pay for the call if there's no fault with the unit.
David

Sponsored Links
Bought it direct from Gainsborough over the Internet. There's one "start/stop" button on the front of the unit that switches the water flow on/off and there's a turn switch to control the temperature (which seems to speed up/slow down the flow rate). There are no other controls or lights on the unit so those are my only means of controlling the water flow through it. The isolator on the pipe is fully open.

Describe the fault to them in writing, ask them to tell you in writing what you should check before calling someone out.

Many thanks, all!
I'll get back to Gainsborough and ask them what I should check before I go for a call-out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back