Galaxie 346 back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to service a back boiler and found the fire and the boiler were spilling, so I isolated the appliance told the customer to either get a builder to look at the flue or get some quotes for a new boiler ( told her I did not do swaps as she had not paid the bill up to date so did not want to add a boiler to her tab).

She rang me today informing me that another engineer had been in, upped the burner pressure and hey presto the boiler is OK. So she is not going to pay up (even for the other work I have done for her).

Where do I stand legally, as I did see the boiler etc spill.

I would appreicate your thoughts

Sponsored Links
I dont understand why you went to see her boiler if she owed you for previous work!

Can you give details of whats owed from before the boiler visit?

Tony

Other work was included from that day. But where do I stand if a cowboy has just switched it on and not issued a certificate?

I understand waht you are aying, but after 5 months she is now saying that the person who got the system working has said that he would not of charged as much (as he would of). Completeley p****** off with the situation.

Sponsored Links
Where do I stand legally, as I did see the boiler etc spill.

You ID'd the boiler, disconnected it and capped the gas, issued a warning notice (and the customer signed) and labelled up the appliance.

Not your problem anymore.

Put it down to experience...next time you won't touch a Galaxie. If a customer has a museum piece in their front room they're bound to be a tight wad. :D

I spent 3 days round the house doing various jobs such as recharging heating system, changing ballvalves, leaks to rads,changing rad valves, repacking packing glands adjusting pipework which was going the wrong way so not draining, resealing bath, running in cold for a shower, balancing the system and servicing. like a muppet I did it on day rate.

What I am worried about is if anything untoward should happen regarding the boiler would I get any comeback? I really don't know whethet to get corgi invlved or not on a safety issue.

Why did they want you to carry out all the other work on the heating system after you had ID'd it?

Are you saying you didn't disconnect/issue WN and label?

as long as you filled in a warning/safety notice and got her to sign then you have nothing to worrie about. it is now on the shoulders of the guy that has put it back on.

You still have not said what the cost on the other work is!

As long as you have done the work you should send her an invoice and take her to Court if she refuses to pay.

I would never expect to get paid if I condemmed a boiler so I suggest you leave that off.

Unless you know who fixed the boiler there is little you can do with CORGI unless you want to risk issuing a warning notice based on your historical test.

If you DID issue a warning notice and someone else turned it on WITHOUT correcting the faults the you could risk reporting it to the HSE. Experience indicates they would do nothing though.

Tony

i hate paperwork as much as anyone, but i have feeling you have not done it.

I would never expect to get paid if I condemmed a boiler so I suggest you leave that off.

It is always worth pre-warning the customer that there is a chance the appliance may be past it. After all you could spend hours cleaning up old backboilers/fire only to ID it in the end. Its no different to taking a 25 year old car for an MOT...highly likely to fail but you expect to pay the garage for their time.

Although last time I did warn the customer it was almost certainly a scrap boiler on the phone but she was prepared to pay for me to check it over just in case it was salvageable. Needless to say she went ballistic when I issued the WN. Refused a disconnect so called SGN. Got paid, verbal T&C's over the phone...I ain't leaving otherwise. ;)

Gotta agree with Tony

I have never been paid after IDing a boiler EVER

never had the hutspar to ask for cash from someone I am leaving cold

Gotta agree with Tony

Lots of East End yiddish lately! Usually thats spelt "hutspah" though!

Surprising for someone with an Irish name!

As far as the boiler is concerned, I would think that the last man there.....

Tony

Gotta agree with Tony

Lots of East End yiddish lately!

Surprising for someone with an Irish name!

As far as the boiler is concerned, I would think that the last man there.....

Tony

Irish Name????

what are you talking about since when is either corgiman or mat been an irish name, are you confusing me with someone else Agile?

as for the yiddish have been working with a chap for the last couple off weeks that uses it and it has kind of rubbed off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back