Gap around lightswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since removing the standard light switch on my landing I am now left with a series of gaps where the plaster has crumbled. The switch that I am trying to fit is one fo the crabtree flush plates types so I need the plaster to be in place for it to sit on ?

I'm sure this is an easyish problem to fix, but rather than just plastering around with polyfilla with a normal gap I need to provide a stable base for it to sit on. Can I still do this with polyfilla ? (I'm a newbie to all of this, so Polyfilla is always my first port of call)

The picture above should demonstrate my problem.

Ben.

Sponsored Links
It's really personal choice and you could use whatever is easily available to you, to fill it out.
To get a good surface and edge, I would remove the face plated and fill the major hole/gap with a bonding or browning, then leave to dry and tidy up with a sandable filler, polyfilla or easifill etc..
It may well be a good idea to use a straight edge to fill in, such as a piece of ply wood and also you you keep the MS screws in the back box while you do this will prevent the lugs from being filled with plaster/filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back