Gaps at skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently took up an overlaid wooden floor to have carpets fitted but there is a gap between the skirting boards and floor boards at parts of the room.

The house is circa 100 years old, so it looks though this might have been caused by some old movement.

What can I use to fill the gap - I want to ensure that I minimise any draughts. Would silicon sealant or painters caulk be any good, or is there some else that would work better?

thank

Sponsored Links
What sort of gap are you talking about? If you're having fitted carpet laid and the fitter knows his stuff he will fit carpet right up to the skirting and probably hide anything up to 5mm. Also, it's not a bad thing to have a bit of air circulation.

had the same problem in my house - the gaps ranged from around 2mm to 1.5cm.....and some of the boards no longer actually reached the wall....... we stuck on...... errr..... i think they call it 'beading' or something.... a 1/4 rounded pole..... errr..... bit like a broom handle sliced into 4 from top to bottom.... you know, so you have a right angle to go against the floor and skirting board, and the circular bit shows...

not very good at explaining this am i? ....... anyway the point is if you choose the right style to go with your existing skirting then it looks quite good (IMO)

WHEW!!!!!

heeeelllllooooo k m
its called logically enough quadrant quaud for short
wouldnt have known what your talking about without your brilliant description ;)

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
heeeelllllooooo k m
its called logically enough quadrant quaud for short
wouldnt have known what your talking about without your brilliant description ;)

heeeelllllooooo to you to big-all :)

hurrmph!! guess i should have known that.... :rolleyes: ... but it was very early and that bottle of chianti went down just a little bit too well last night :confused: - lol

still, glad you liked my description (you ought to see me when i'm really on a roll (that'll be the morning after the claret!!!!!) :oops:)

Also, it's not a bad thing to have a bit of air circulation.

Yes - but isn't that how the edges of carpets end up dirty looking? from gaps around the skirting and air blowing dust in?

I think I will probably just use caulk or frame sealant when I come to do the living room (where similar gaps exist) - but am interested to know what other people think.

As said, it depends on how big the gaps are. If we're talking about a 5mm sort of gap, then don't bother, the underlay plus carpet will more than cover this up. No, it won't get dirty due to the dust. Agreed a little air circulation will not hurt.

could you not measure all the gaps acurately, then get some fillets of wood cut a the local wood shop, then hammer or glue them into the gap, fill, sand and repaint the skirtings for a neater and permanent solution

(if a little labour intensive)

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back