Garage Conversion - Filling in an old double door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of converting my single skin garage to an office owing to the imminent arrival of a new baby.

The garage has large double garage doors at the front and rear so my first step is going to be the removal of the rear doors. I'll be putting in a single aluminium framed double-glazed door and will be boarding up the rest of the hole.

Can I get some advice on the best approach here? Should I:

1. Dig down create some cement foundations and then create a double skin replacement wall tying into the existing brickwork using ties & an angle grinder? Finishing with batons, plasterboard & skim.

2. Mount a metal frame to the existing brickwork. Fit external insulated board to this on the outside and cover with brick slips to maintain look and feel then plasterboard on the inside & skim.

3. Do something else?

I'm looking for a fast, cost effective method that will form part of the converted office....

Sponsored Links
I want whatever I do to be permanent (with the option for the next guy to roll back to a garage if required.

If what I've read is right then I need to involve building control, I'm planning to replace the front garage door as part of this process as well which I think means I need planning too.

So yes will be involving them. Out of interest in what way might that change what I do?

My choice would be. Brickwork upto dpc, timber frame the rest, ply/breathermembrane/batten/cladding. Insulate and pb the inside, tape the joints, paint.
Everyone will have a preference. Depends on how much you intend to do yourself (if any) and your skills. I don't see the price varying by any massive degree for such a small job.

You will need building control as you are changing the room to an office, which counts as a habitable room and therefore regulations apply.

Planning permission as you are changing the external appearance and losing a parking space, which could be an issue whether you park in the garage or not.

Good luck with the job, and the sprog.

Sponsored Links
I doubt you will need planning permission but building regs will probably cover, decide the layout first and contact the local council planning office. When planning it there must be a fire escpae exit,smoke heat detector off the main supply and must meet insulation standard

Hi, as it has been said on here already i would of thought you needed planning permission if you are going to go through the proper routes.

However if you were to leave the front garage door in place and erect a stud wall internally, it would look like a garage from the outside, and unless someone was to report you. no one would be any the wiser...hint hint.

As far as the rear door goes, quick n easy job would be a stud wall around the door frame.

I doubt you will need planning permission but building regs will probably cover, decide the layout first and contact the local council planning office. When planning it there must be a fire escpae exit,smoke heat detector off the main supply and must meet insulation standard

Wrong regarding planning permission - If the work being done changes the appearance of the front elevation of the property then you need planning permission.

However if you were to leave the front garage door in place and erect a stud wall internally, it would look like a garage from the outside, and unless someone was to report you. no one would be any the wiser...hint hint.

True, but if you ever wanted to sell the property in the future ........ ;)

True, but if you ever wanted to sell the property in the future ........ ;)

I agree, but then its an easy conversion back, as i would of thought you'd of wanted to sell the property with a garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back