Garage Conversion: Floor and Window Qs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Assuming an approx 6" floor drop in the garage, would it be possible/wise to simply insulate to 5 and a 1/4 inches (and damp proof of course), and then plonk a weyroc floating floor on top?

2. If you go for a patio door in the opening, can you ignore the need for a footing or lintel under it?

I'm asking for a friend! (It's actually my Sis- I have a detached one!)

CG

Sponsored Links
my garage has a damp area near the door after heavy rain.
You'd need to do something to keep the water out

how does the bottom track of a patio door work with a step immediately ahead?

Whilst no expert, I'm not visualising a step. I'm seeing the door track/frame at, or just above floor level. Would that not be the case?

CG

so..

the house floor is about 6" above the ground level.
The car drives in at ground level.
You step down into the garage?

You'd need to add a layer of bricks along the garage floor base to get the patio door up to aproximatly the house floor level
It will look a bit weird, like a show house. They often patio door the garage, to create an office.
My mate's house even had textured ceilings in the garage

what people normally do is add a wall to get the garage opening up to the other front window height.
Often, the window lintel is the same as the garage lintel so then just a UPVC/wood window made to close the gap

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back