Garage Conversion - Planning Permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have an internal garage with bedroom above which was built as a two storey extension in the 80s. Planning was given for this but I am unsure if the planning conditions of that mean I have to apply for permission to convert the internal garage to a guest room?

We have an external garage and two off road parking spaces so I don’t foresee planning being an issue but it’s going to be around £1000 extra on the cost considering the planning fee and drawings etc.

It says ‘…or for the purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house’

And its Or. Surely converting the garage qualifies as for the purpose incidental to the dwelling house?

Thanks
IMG_0428.jpeg

Sponsored Links
More like £300. TI don't think the fee will be much more than £250, the location and site plan will be £10-£15 each off t'internet and a DIY hand drawn scale drawing of the house indicating location of garage and a showing front doors/windows. You don't need pro drawings for planning for this.

You need permission.
Condition 3 removes PD rights for a garage conversion.
Condition 4 relates to parking a car or using the garage for what people normally use a garage for.

Your council will have details of what documents you need to submit - the validation criteria, and it varies depending on the application. Off-road parking spaces will be relevant, and you may want to avoid defining the conversion as a "guest room" as that implies an extra car space and/or a rental.

Sponsored Links
You need permission.
Condition 3 removes PD rights for a garage conversion.
Condition 4 relates to parking a car or using the garage for what people normally use a garage for.

Your council will have details of what documents you need to submit - the validation criteria, and it varies depending on the application. Off-road parking spaces will be relevant, and you may want to avoid defining the conversion as a "guest room" as that implies an extra car space and/or a rental.
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

I will put it down as a study then, a builder will be doing the actual work and has said he can do it on a building notice anyway rather than submitting full plans for BR.

He wasn’t entirely sure about PP, hence the question.

Looking on the planning website, it doesn’t look as bad as I thought for PP. I have the original plans for the extension and those are to scale on A3 so I am going to duplicate the elevation drawings as nothing is visually changing, we are keeping the roller door and 1m for storage using a stud wall and a window already exists anyway.

I can even copy the floor plans and just edit the bit that’s changing in the proposed one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back