Garage conversion questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are having our garage converted into a dual-purpose space, serving as both a gym and an office, by a professional builder.

The work so far included reinforcing the beams and crafting an attic area accessible via a loft ladder. To ensure insulation, they applied PIR to the ceiling and installed drywall. Currently, they are in the process of working on the floor—raising its height, insulating it with PIR, and laying down loft boards. Next on the agenda are the walls.

I have a few questions please :

1. The builder mentioned that after completing the ceiling, the floor is the next priority to ensure precise fitting of plasterboard. However, I've encountered conflicting information online regarding whether the floor or the walls should come next. What would be he ideal sequence and rationale behind it?
  2. In the attic space, there's light seeping in from below through the eaves. I inquired about placing rockwool to address this, but the response was ambiguous so I bought but haven't placed down yet. They suggested it wasn't necessary because once the walls are battened and insulated, light won't penetrate through the gaps. Yet, I'm uncertain about the best course of action for managing humidity and airflow. Would placing rockwool be advisable, or is there a better practice to ensure proper insulation? (pictures below)

air gap1.png

air gap2.png

3. Lastly, I was recommended to install felt lap vents in the newly created attic space. However, given the noticeable temperature variations so far, I'm wondering if this alone is sufficient for ventilation.

4, Additionally, an electrician will be coming to install a circuit breaker specifically for the garage sockets. Currently, the garage shares the same circuit breaker with the downstairs sockets . I dont expect the load on the garage to be heavy , however the electrician recommended . What's your opinion ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
On point 4 , as a spark I would agree that it’s a good idea to have the garage room on a separate breaker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back