Garage conversion tin roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large, detached double garage that we'd like to convert into a hobby room (no sleeping or toilets).

It has a corrugated metal roof on it at the moment which is in really good condition that I could reuse but it's been mentioned that it could sweat over the insulation/rafters etc and cause damp and rotting. Is there any way to stop this?

Would ventilation help?

I've seen anti-sweat paint for metal roofs. But that sounds like it could just send the moisture somewhere else ‍♀️.

I'm also looking for advice on the construction of the roof as it is 19 foot deep and 26 ft wide with a single skin brick wall diving it about a third across. Would it be acceptable to have a joist across the middle to have shorter rafters either side? Even a 9x3 doesn't cover the span according to the span tables. So I could use a 9x3 as the centre support and 7x2s in 3m lengths from front wall to the centre and then Centre to back wall. I've drawn a picture as I read that back and it doesn't make much sense .

I'm hoping it doesn't require a steel beam as it would need to be mechanically lifted and that's not an option cost wise or access wise right now.

Any advice gratefully recieved. I don't plan to go ahead with anything until I fully understand it in theory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_071344.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_071344.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back