Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am turning my garage into a habitable.The architect has specified covering walls in 100mm celotex
Can I cover over the 2.5mm wire that's supplying two sockets,or what can I do
Don't know if I need an electrician as nothing I am doing is changing just need to know if it's ok to celotex over wires
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The wires cannot be covered by Celotex on both sides or much larger cables will be needed!
The best way is to set the Celotex and tape it (Building Inspector will want to see that) then run the cables on the face of the Celotex and put plasterboard on so the cables are in the middle of the Celotex/plasterboard sandwich.

If you do otherwise, you'll need to bring the cables through the Celotex to get to the room side, for sockets & switches.

PS On your planning/building notice, who did you tell LABC was going to do the electrical work? Did you decide to go for the DIY route, or are you going to use a registered electrician. Or is the electrical work not notifiable?

The electrical work has to comply with Part P whether notifiable or not.

Therefore when the council issue a completion certificate they are saying that they agree that all of the work, including the electrics, comply with the relevant regulations.

Therefore they ought to take an interest in how the electrical work is done.

Don't know if I need an electrician as nothing I am doing is changing.....

Therefore the time to find out what they want to know about the electrical work is now, not when everything is done and they start asking then.

Thanks for replying
Sockets were already there so have not told lcbc
I am not changing anything,just insulating the room.no additional electrical work being done
Was just going to add celotex and plasterboard

Sponsored Links
The existing cabling, how is that run? Clipped to the brickwork?

I hope you have raised a building notice with LABC? - as you are changing the use of the garage to living space.

Thanks for replying
Sockets were already there so have not told lcbc
In your own interests I strongly advise checking with them that that is OK rather than finding out the hard way that it wasn't.

I am not changing anything,just insulating the room.no additional electrical work being done
Was just going to add celotex and plasterboard
That has the potential to drastically reduce the current carrying capacity of the cables to the point where there is a fire risk.

LABC have been told
The original cables supplying 2 double sockets are clipped/covered by thin galvanised trunking
I will move the cables into the room side of the celotex and cover with plasterboard

Don't see how moving them will help, touching a brick wall to outside will dissipate heat as quickly as touching plasterboard to inside

Yes he's right, it makes no difference.
In your original it wasn't clear that it was existing wiring. Thought it was new stuff.

You'll need to find a way to extend the existing wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back