Garage Door Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am having a 215mm wall built which will have a garage door 2.5m wide within it with piers at either end.

The external wall will be rendered / dashed. Am i better off going with 2 100mm concrete lintels side by side or a 215mm steel lintel. Cost points towards the concrete option but is there any negatives in going down this route before i order them?

Sponsored Links
Yeah go for it. It depends on how the wall is loaded, which dictates how many you use. Or if you just span it with a double joist on the inside.

The lintels will be holding 2 courses of blocks above them then a small mono pitch roof which will be imposing a load of less than 1.5kN/m. Would 2 concrete lintels side by side be deemed suitable?

They can then hold the door roller and be rendered externally.

Sponsored Links
If it was me I'd put the lintel on the outside and a timber beam on the inside to take the roof and shutter.

Other wise, one, two or three lintels on the inside depending on what loads you have and what loads they can take

Thanks Woody

The lintels take 6.5/10.5kN/m depending on orientation so they are more than strong enough for the loads being put on them.

With 2 courses of blocks going above the opening would a timber beam still be suitable? Is the use of timber just to give ease of fixings for the shutter?

I just find it easier to put the equivalent of an 8x4 or 9x4 across the inner skin at front and back of garages instead of messing about with lintels, a bit of wall and then a wallplate. This works for pitched and flat roofs, but if you have a certain distance of wall to go on then it may not be appropriate and so should use the lintels. If one will do according to the loadings then it will be fine, or you could bed one on top of another instead of using a much heavier 6" deep lintel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back