Garage door opener can't open the door all the way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I got a Hormann Supramatic garage door opener and installed it according to the pretty dreadful instructions.

The door however doesn't open all the way with the auto opener installed.

Have tried various tensions on the garage door spring to assist and the link bad between the door and opener has been tried both ways round as suggested in the instructions.

I think the door itself may be an issue, looking at the top of the door there's next to no lateral movement for the last foot or two of vertical door movement, the door swings down, more than in, to the garage.

Didn't know if anyone has had similar and worked out a way to get the door further open? I made the a video that I wanted to send to hormann for advice, it's too large to post here currently, will try shrinking it down to post for a better overview.

Attachments

• PXL_20221204_094540648.jpg
    PXL_20221204_094540648.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
I have only ever worked on two, each time after the customer had to pull the red cord to get it to open.

I went to Youtube to find out how to recalibrate them.

If you pull the red cord, does the door (manually) open and close without issue?

Yes, manually it's all good.
But that's with me pushing the door up or pulling it down.
I tried pulling it (as if I were the opener) and it's doable for most of it but very hard to do for the last foot or two

Yes, manually it's all good.
But that's with me pushing the door up or pulling it down.
I tried pulling it (as if I were the opener) and it's doable for most of it but very hard to do for the last foot or two

Sorry, do mean the last couple of feet as you open it (push it up)?

Sponsored Links
Is it a 3 section door or a single door? From the image it looks like a single door.

From memory, the 3 section door was slightly more awkward to open (manually) fully past 2/3rds. Single door was pretty much constant until 7/8ths.

Sorry if I haven't read your post properly. Are you trying to open and close it manually (after pulling the red cord)?

If yes, have you confirmed that the distance between the two horizontal tracks is constant, and that both tracks are level (and free from debris or kinks)?

It might also be advisable to make sure that both of the curved sections are aligned correctly.

The video will help- there are other people here that have far more experience of working on those doors than I have.

********** edit ********

I have only just twigged that you don't have roller channels for the left and right hand side rollers- my bad. I cannot recall ever seeing an automatic door that didn't have horizontal side guides and channels. From memory, I can recall seeing dozens that do, but I honestly cannot recall seeing a sprung loaded door with an automatic opener. My gut instinct tells me that your set up is not compatible. I hope I am wrong though.

In the absence of a video, please take fuller photos.

Best of luck.

Best of

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a single piece sprung up and over door. I got fed up with getting in and out of the car to open and close it so bought a closer.

It could well be that it's not compatible with my door.

Will add some more pictures. The editor doesn't seem to allow video uploads.

That's really interesting. Thanks.
I beefed up the top of the door today with some flat steel strip pop riveted on and it's improved a little but still only high/reliable to get my z4 in and out of the garage, normal car would have no chance.
Will look into the bow arms, the door only needs a finger to move it manually, but like with many things the direction is more important than the force

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back