Garage door without a garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large broken garage door and ramshackle structure that isn't fit to be a garage and needs taking down. It should contain my washing machine but it leaks so badly the machine broke and everything stored in their is under a tarp. Between my house and this supposed garage is a very small courtyard which is ok but loses the sun behind the house in the afternoon.

I want to build a new detached utility room and store and leave a parking space alongside. This would give me the flexibility of using the parking space as an extended paved courtyard garden which would catch the summer sun in the afternoon and also allow me to have a secured parking space and mainatian value in my property.

I want to put a new garage door which would be exposed to the elements on both faces but I don't want to pay a £1000 for an insulated double skin roller door as that seems over the top.

Is there a more standard up and over garage door, possibly with galavnised runners that would be suitable? I've thought of timber side hung doors but with so many wheelie bins in back lanes these days this might not be so easy to achieve trying to open them up.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much any simple garage door - even one from a salvage job ! There`s a house in Eastbourne where they`ve had a door on it`s own in an alley wall for years - no bother ;)

will there not be problem with the runners and mechanism being exposed to driving rain? Can the back face of the door be coated to help against the elements?

I can pick up a simple up and over door for a couple hundred quid and that sounds preferable compared to spending £1000 on a roller door but am worried about the weathering and if I will end up needing to replace it in a couple of years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back