Garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be painting my garage door black, currently it is blue (peeling off).

I assume I will need to remove as much as the old blue paint as possible (wire brush, sand paper etc)?

Do I need an undercoat and 1 top coat, or just 1 topcoat, or 2 topcoats?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Remove the flaking paint with a hot air gun.

Then degrease with brush cleaner the stripped areas and then prime with metal primer (try and have it tinted grey if it isnt already).
U/C with dark grey, one coat should be enough and then gloss, lightly abrading between coats and dusting off, in fact vaccum off and damp down the area around the door because black will show up every single speck of dust.

Will I be able to get away without using a hot air gun? Can't I just scrape the flaking paint off?

Thanks.

You can buy a cheap HA gun for about £15 and watch the paint fly off or do it the hard way scraping and chipping, its a no brainer!!

Sponsored Links
I assume we are talking about a metal garage door? Non corrosive metal?
Make sure you do use an appropriate primer first, if you don't the paint WILL peel off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back