Garage elecs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Went to do a job yesterday where the client wanted her garage electrics redone. Discovered the garage supply was fed off a 45A mcb. The supply was 1.5mm from mcb to boiler, then to garage. The cable to the garage was hanging between the two wall (house and gargage) within arms reach. In the garage the supply went to a junction box. From there it went to a single socket and then to a light switch & to the light. Also a spur from the j/box to a double socket. Anyone else come across such "good" work? Is this a common day thing or a case of the wrong person had some fun?

Sponsored Links
69er said:
Hi all

Went to do a job yesterday where the client wanted her garage electrics redone. Discovered the garage supply was fed off a 45A mcb. The supply was 1.5mm from mcb to boiler, then to garage. The cable to the garage was hanging between the two wall (house and gargage) within arms reach. In the garage the supply went to a junction box. From there it went to a single socket and then to a light switch & to the light. Also a spur from the j/box to a double socket. Anyone else come across such "good" work? Is this a common day thing or a case of the wrong person had some fun?

some people should not be allowed near electrics.

one of the worst i have seen was bell wire used to wire a 13A 4 way adapter. checked plug and there was wire wrapped around fuse. when he had all the stuff switched on, the 13A fuse blew! (bell wire was also partially melted, but it was OK because he had a (water) fire extinguisher somewhere in the kitchen!

69er said:
He sounded like a bright spark! Did he do the "work" himself?

yea. was a right idiot. how his house hadnt already burned down,i will never know

Sponsored Links
It would have benn ok if a fire started - he had a hose pipe nearby!!! :eek: :eek:

I remember going to a job to replace an alarm panel, and the mains was wired to a 13amp plug with 6 core alarm cable paired up for L N & E, lucky I checked before I cut the 6 core, I've still got the plug somewhere, hehe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back