Garage electrics

Agreed. It would appear to be just referring to electrical protection as swa (despite the name) does not really offer much (any?) mechanical protection, does it?
Not really - and, even if SWA did, 'metal sheathed cable' certainly doesn't afford any significant mechanical protection!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
my priority is our safety and not meeting the needs of the wealth and safety dept who seem to tie themselves in knots. Most inspectors (and it will be inspected) take the same view i.e. is it fit for purpose and totaly safe which is good enopugh for me.

Not trying to bend the rules just adapting them to suit my circumstances

thanks to all who have contributed.

Seems to me twin and earth in metal conduit is acceptable. Due to the wording it would stand up in court.
I don't think courts are an issue - since I personally have littel doubt that T+E buried in adequate metal conduit is compliant with regs.
Also does not say it has to be burried
Indeed not - but I thought that's what you wanted? As has been said, non-buried SWA is fine, but shallow-buried is not.

Kind Regards, John

Presumably shallow buried is ok if there's a reasonable indication that there is something under there?

Sponsored Links
Have you ever tried to cut through SWA with a spade? It's not as easy as you're expecting.

Have you ever tried to cut through SWA with a spade? It's not as easy as you're expecting.
I know it's not - it hard enough even with cutters! However, I didn't think that the regs regarded SWA armour, alone, as adequate mechanical protection (e.g. for shallow burying). I'm getting very frustrated by not having my regs to hand!

Do you believe that SWA buried 75mm deep is OK then? If so, this whole thread has been unnecessary!

Kind Regards, John

No, but it will still be damaged and I suppose if the spade happened to be in line with the armour...

This is a good point. Just damaging the cable without it actually causing a 'fault' is bad enough - as the cable could still take in water, and fixing it could be tiresome to say the very least.

Isn't the point of the armour that if you do manage to get through it, it's earthed and will cause the circuit to automatically disconnect leaving it as a safe situation.

Personally I think 75mm is ok if for example either end is visible making it obvious there is a cable there and the area isn't likely to be dug up like a garden or flower bed.

It's a common sense / risk assessment exercise.

As you say it is about knowing it is there

Our outside power supply - 4 massive wires with no earth enough to run a large hotel come up through a wall in the lounge the other side of which is the boot room with all the meters ect.

I stuck a a bloody sign behind the mirror on that wall to leave no one in any doubt it says "danger of death from cables" and they will kill you!!

Personally I think 75mm is ok if for example either end is visible making it obvious there is a cable there and the area isn't likely to be dug up like a garden or flower bed. ... It's a common sense / risk assessment exercise.
Yes, personally (i.e. for my own house), I agree - but I'm still not sure where this sits with the regs.

My impression from what the OP has said is that the route is probably far from being a straight line, so knowing where one (or even both) ends were would not necessarily make it obvious where cable was buried close to the surface - but maybe I'ne misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back