Garage extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as part of our garden works we're looking to extend our garage by aprx 6-8 foot. It is a single brick flat roof garage. Would this sort of work require any planning permission?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look up the planning portal permitted development requirements.
In summary um it's behind your house and covers less than half the space round your house and you still have permitted development rights (ask the council) and isn't too tall or isn't close to the boundary then likely yes.
But you want to be checking the full requirements before starting.

OK great, I'll take a look at those requirements and see where that leads us.

My son is in the process of having a 75sq m garage built. Because of the cost we got a certificate of lawfulness and were told by the council we did not really need it. Building control is another matter. 1m deep foundations 450mm wide for a single block build. Max height is 2.5m as it is on the boundary (inside a fence). My garage built in the 1980's is just on a slab foundation and is 2.9m at the highest point. If it can not be seen and depending on your neighbours you could just take a risk and do it but if not up to current standards you may have problems in the future.

Sponsored Links
Ok that’s good to know. We’ve cleared all the work with the neighbour. A bricky we had round suggested only about a foot for the foundations as it’s a small single skin extension to the existing garage. Will continue to investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back