garage footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have started digging the footings for my detached garage which will be single leaf breeze block. I was advised on here to go down 1m and 400 wide which is what i have started to do however someone else mentioned that 600 is ok in "sands". I have started digging and at only 400 depth i have hit very sandy/peaty soil which is coming out on the spade as clumps. Is this the "sands" ? should i continue to 1m depth ?

ps Im knackered

Pippo

Sponsored Links
Stable, compact, sandy-gravelly, non-fertile soil is ideal.

Peaty soil is not - too spongy i guess.

Sponsored Links
oh feck,

Is peat and clay the same thing? it seems very firm but its sticking together. It doesnt seem to have much gravel in it. Would you be able to tell much from a picture ?

pippo

I have never experienced peat but i have all but bathed in clay!

If the water content of clay were to remain unchanged, no matter what the weather or surroundings, then it would be an ok substrate. But we all know that to be untrue. It is these changes in water volume that make clay built structures somewhat troublesome.

Peat is spongy and also responds to changes in water content, so it too is a poor substrate to build upon. If ground conditions remain unchanged at depth then you may need to consider piling.

Clay and peat are totally different materials. Stick a pic up, should be able to see what you've been digging out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back