Garage & Kitchen Island

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently running cable to a house extention/garage which is being checked by my local council, under a building control notification so it will all be checked just don't want to look a numpty!

Can someone give me advice on what size cable to run to a ring main in my garage which is 5m from my consumer unit, I use a compressor and a small domestic MIG welder which although says it is 130amp runs from a domestic 13amp plug. I was looking to run an independant 2.5mm ring main to supply two or three double plug sockets or should I consider running a larger cable to supply an independant smaller consumer unit?

Also I am installing a kitchen lsland and was intending to run the independant kitchen ring main in a suitable ducting to the lsland to supply the dishwasher and a double plug, does this sound okay?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Rolyberkin said:
Can someone give me advice on what size cable to run to a ring main in my garage which is 5m from my consumer unit, I use a compressor and a small domestic MIG welder which although says it is 130amp runs from a domestic 13amp plug. I was looking to run an independant 2.5mm ring main to supply two or three double plug sockets or should I consider running a larger cable to supply an independant smaller consumer unit?
I'd consider putting in a bit of 10mm or possiblly even 16mm to a seperate CU in the garage, it's not vital now but it will make life much easier if you ever decide your current workshop tools aren't big enough and you want something that can't be run off a normal socket.

For the kitchen island steel conduit is probablly the best choice but it may take some practice to be able to make a good job of it. Also consider putting in a cooker circuit to the island unit even if you don't use it right now.

Thans for your advice, have not been here for a while hence the late thanks, spending too much time building a house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back