Garage light switch question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very simple question but something I know nothing about.

Have replaced the two strip lights in my garage. The switch on the wall had gone...destroyed by years of neglect. I have a twin and earth cable coming from the fuse box in the garage and a twin and earth running to each of the lights- thats a cable to one light and a seperate cable to the other giving me 3 in total at the point the light switch was.

I want to connect them on a single switch. All three cables have red black and earth.

Switch has R, L and common terminals. What do i connect to which terminals???

Sponsored Links
stoat said:
Switch has R, L and common terminals. What do i connect to which terminals???

never seen that layout before...

connect 1 wire to common and the other to either R or L. worst thtll happen is the switch operates upside down. altho its easy to invert it

Dont think I made it quite clear how green I am!

I have 3 red and 3 black...do you mean I connect all 3 of one colour to the common and then all 3 of the other to either of the other two terminals?

stoat said:
Dont think I made it quite clear how green I am!

I have 3 red and 3 black...do you mean I connect all 3 of one colour to the common and then all 3 of the other to either of the other two terminals?

are 2 of the cables the feed to the lights and the other the supply?

if yes, choc block all blacks. put the feed red into common and the other 2 reds into R (or L). choc block all earths

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back