garage lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a sectional concrete garage that i would like to convert into a basic workshop/storage space.

I plan to build stud walls within the garage walls, but I'm a little unsure about which material would be best, and also the best fixing methods. I was thinking WPB plywood for the wall linings either 1/2" or 1", and i have been debating whether or not to use a grab adhesive rather than fixings, to fix the stud work to the concrete walls and reinforced pillars'.

If you don't mind i have a few questions.

1. Is 2x2" tantalised about right for the stud work?

2. Would 1/2" or 1" plywood be better for wall lining? obviously 1/2" would be cheaper but will it be strong enough to screw into, for hanging hooks or the odd shelf etc.

3. As the garage concrete panels are reportedly quite brittle when drilled into, and the concrete pillars reinforced is it a good idea to use grab adhesive to fix the stud work to the walls? Will grab adhesive be strong enough? I know its supposed to be all great stuff, but I'm always sceptical.

4. If grab adhesive is a bad idea, do you think i would be able to get secure screw fixing into the reinforced concrete pillars?

5. I will be having the current electrics in there up upgraded, some of which will be run in the stud work, and some of which will be surface run on the plywood in trunking/conduit. Is it acceptable to run electrics along plywood? As i know plaster board is fire rated etc, so i wasn't sure what the stance is with plywood walls. The garage is detached from the house so i think that should help with any fire ratings.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could use 18mm osb, cheaper than ply and you can drill the wall and screw through from outside into timber lining, this means no stud work needed. I used this method on my old concrete garage [before replacing it eventually].You can run power in steel conduit and use metal suface sockets, stronger when accidentally whacking them with stuff when using as a workshop.

Sponsored Links
I've done exactly this job to one of these garages made up of 24" wide concrete panels which are bolted through the end to each other and heres how i did it...

1. buy a load of metal brackets from screwfix and bolt them to the concrete panel fixing bolts so they stick out. You need to use a straight bracket and a corner bracket bolted together so you can run 2x2 batten horizonally around the walls top, bottom and middle. If you run battens vertically you need really to have battens top and bottom horizontally so may as well run them all horizontally but you will need a funny bracket arrangement to make this work.

2. line garage with (cant remember gauge but its very stiff) plastic sheet and poke the brackets through the sheet so sheet sits against concrete.

3. screw 2x2 softwood battens horizontally around the walls as above

4. wedge sheets of 50mm celotex between battens

5. screw flooring (green ie damp resistant) T&G chipboard 8x2 sheets right around garage walls screwing into 2x2 battens - need to cut each sheet to length.

when lining walls with plastic, run plastic right over the floor and up the walls. prior to fitting wall boards lay insulation on floor then flooring chipboard on top.

reason for using flooring chipboard is its cheap, tough for screwing into and mounting things, rigid.

I used 25mm polystyene for the floor insulation - mistake as its crushing - should have used thicker celotex but was on budget.

Did all this end of March - had no issues at all apart from above......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back