Garage overhaul!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post so sorry if I sound like an idiot. :D

Basically I want to overhaul my garage to make better use of it. It's a sectional concrete type but it's a reasonable size.. about 10ftx20ft. It used to have an asbestos roof which was removed and replaced with a corrugated sheet metal roof a while back.

What I would like to do is insulate the walls and ceiling. Install some better lighting and some more sockets and perhaps do something with the floor as it is currently just very rough concrete.

My plans are as follows..

* Use some sort of fibrous insulation in the roof, glued straight to the sheet metal roof. Then a DPM. Then plywood. Seal all the edges with expanding foam etc so the roof is relatively sealed up. I am hoping that by sealing it all in it will reduce the condensation that currently is a problem and also help to keep me warm!

* Basically do the same with the walls. Using Angled plate on the brackets that hold the concrete panels together to screw 3x2 to the walls. Then foam insulation. Then plywood! My mate is a sparky who said he will help me out with all the wiring, sockets etc.

* Not sure about the floor yet.. maybe some sort of tiles? Seem to be loads out there so I guess I can just see what will best suit my purpose.

I have come up with the above suggestions based purely on reading what other people have done and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about! :LOL:

Advice welcome.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Where is the water that causes the condensation coming from? Without addressing that you will continue to have problems as there appears to be insufficient ventilation to get rid of it.

You don't want more ventilation because it makes the garage colder in winter.

I'm not 100% sure where the moisture comes from to be honest. I naively assumed it just kind of came from the air haha? I guess the garage door probably lets a small amount of water in under it so I could definitely do something about that. There are gaps all around the edge of the roof which don't seem to be a problem as they hang down well over the top of the walls. The slab it sits on is raised above the garden by a good foot so I don't think much, if any, water gets in through the edges though I could be wrong?

Thanks very much!

The condensation could be dripping from the metal roof? i had this on a previous garage unil i insulated it.

My current garage has been done the same as you're wanting to do

WALLS - wooden batons fixed to the joint bolts, insulation inbetween (used the cheap poly stuff - wish i'd used kingspan) - moisture resistant chipboard flooring then fixed to batons and eventually painted white (2 coats of emulsion worked great)

ROOF - Celotex (same as kingspan) fitted to batons and all seams taped with ducktape

DOORS - lift up door and side door covered with insulation roll (spray glue used)

FLOOR - plastic interlocking floor tiles used after several coats of paint inc epoxy which didn't last (waste of money)

Sponsored Links
That's not a garage, it's a lounge.
Nice job.

Thanks - spent 4 years adding to it- with the dehumidifier and oil filled radiator it's not too bad tinkering in there in the winter - summer it's great :)

checkerplate fitted to back of work bench and stereo fitted to wall - toolboxes being repainted in silver to match the units

Nice, I had an orange st2 for all of 7 days til it was stolen.

Anyway back to the op....your garage is a nice example of what can be done.:cool:

Nice, I had an orange st2 for all of 7 days til it was stolen.

Anyway back to the op....your garage is a nice example of what can be done.:cool:

Thanks
Was your ST taken with the key fob? seem to be a lot taken by bypassing the fob using the OBD port
the ST is a nippy car, manages 34mpg and only costs £186 a year F/C to insure - shame it has rattles appearing and the sill lights not working (common problem)

i want to add more insulation to the walls but don't fancy having to take down all the boards and have to repaint :( i'm also wanting to change the door to a sectional insulated one but the prices are crazy as this is over 8ft wide

Check out the garagejournal website - amazing garages on there

No I had the fobs in the house.
Not sure how they did it, it was never found. Probably ended up in some viaduct garage in Salford.

No I had the fobs in the house.
Not sure how they did it, it was never found. Probably ended up in some viaduct garage in Salford.

They smash the quarter glass which doesn't activate the alarm then access the OBD port next to the steering wheel and plug in a device to bypass the fob - getting very common :eek:

That is really helpful! Thanks so much haha!

Gutted about the car getting stolen.. thievery is low.

I thought about using poly board stuff as it's so cheap but I will probably be doing a good bit of welding in there and I hear it doesn't respond well to accidental fires!

Cheers

That is really helpful! Thanks so much haha!

Gutted about the car getting stolen.. thievery is low.

I thought about using poly board stuff as it's so cheap but I will probably be doing a good bit of welding in there and I hear it doesn't respond well to accidental fires!

Cheers

The checker plate would be a good idea in the areas where you'll be welding/ grinding - it's quite cheap on ebay and you can order most sizes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back