Garage Pit

Sponsored Links
You intend to put a gravestone in there?

I thought it was a car pit not a grave for the wife!

40mm cover to the reinforcement is find for the exposure the concrete will get. Just make sure the soil face is clear from protruding debris before pouring.

I've got a book by Rick Arnold called 'Working with Concrete'

It says rebar must be 3" away from soil. If I follow this rule I can only have one facing of rebar mesh.

It says the same as the grave stone site, the rebar will otherwise rust, expand and the concrete will crack.

It also says 'refer to rebar tables' for help on judging how much I will need. Are these tables a common builders tool? If so, where can I find them.

I will have only one facing of rebar if it will prevent rusting. I think two is too much for such a shallow pit, and the book seems to agree.

There are 8" thick walls in the book 10ft high holding back soil with only one line of rebar poking out the top.

Your call, you dont have to take my advice.

I dont have much faith in american books and know nothing of their working practices.

Here in the UK, normal cover to reinforcement is based on 2 factors, durability and fire resistance. In your case fire resistance isnt a factor and your not exposing the concrete to aggressive or abrasive materials.
So a minimum cover of 35mm can be used.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for your advice.

Im not rubbishing it, but I think I will use one facing of 10mm rebar and 6" of concrete. The pit is only 4ft deep and it will all be poured at the same time, so it will be one huge piece.

If any cracks develop I will just fill them in. I cant see any danger of it all falling in on me with 10mm rebar and 6" all round.

Thank you

j_mchattie said:
Thanks for your advice - I is my primary aim to make it safe.

Probably doesn't need saying but just in case, as an aside to the structural integrity, inspection pits are potentially VERY dangerous in that carbon monoxide is heavier than air, and will fill a pit up before the garage. Many a corpse has been fished out of pits. The exhaust gases need to be removed via a good fitting secondary exhaust pipe away from the work area.

Just joined and don't know if I'm too late with this, but the fibre-glass pit that was mentioned earlier can be supplied by a company called Mech-mate. I'm thinking of using them for a pit in my new garage.

They do a variety of sizes for pits and also pit liners...take a look if you're still looking for a solution....

++++++

j_mchattie said:
The pit is only 4ft deep and it will all be poured at the same time, so it will be one huge piece.

I hope you've got a 3t weight to hold the shutter down :D

SimonWH - thanks for that, I will do a search for them.

House move is going really slow (Dont ever use TG Baynes for a move), so it will be mid Jan when I actually do this.

Not sure how to hold the shutter in place, ill sort that when I come to it!

What do you think about this?

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1360.html

Basically the last guy used concrete block backfilled with concrete. Is that an OK option? It would be a lot easier for me to do that.

If I built a concrete block wall around the inside of the pit and backfilled behind it with concrete - would that be ok?

The surveyer hasnt said anything about it - he thinks its OK and only suggested a cover!
I dont think it will fall in or anything, but I want it to be safe all tha same.

I've got some info from Mech-Mate in preparation for digging a pit myself....if you're a member of a car club (I'm guessing you might have a Cobra??) you can get a discount from them too. I mentioned to the guy that I'm a member of the Quantum owners club and they immediately offered me a 5% discount.

The good thing about the Mech-Mate pit seems to be its effectively sealed so you don't get the usual water seepage that some concete pits suffer.

I thought about using TGBaynes when I moved last year but decided against it. All solicitors are slow though. Good luck!

No, no Cobra here. I'm 21 and Mr Insurance says no (as does student wallet).

However, I can stretch to concrete block walls in the pit. The earth is dry in the pit at the moment - you can see that from the photos. Hopefully Concrete block would be strong enough for the job - its only 4ft deep and I cant see it collapsing all at the same time with no warning. I would at least see a bow or a crack.

Do you guys agree? Concrete block wall with concrete fill behind it (id guess the block would make up 4 or so inches, and perhaps 2 or 3 in concrete fill).

??

Thanks

j_mchattie said:
House move is going really slow (Dont ever use TG Baynes for a move), so it will be mid Jan when I actually do this.

Is this project still on track? I'd be interested to see how things progress as I'm considering doing this myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back