Garage roof - DUMB QUESTION ALERT!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - totally new to this website (and DIY) so please forgive my ignorance. I have been tasked by my boyfriend of sourcing some corrugated roofing sheets to replace the asbestos ones currently in place. I have no idea as to what they are called and therefore no idea as to where to start looking. Can anyone help? Sorry to be so ignorant.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Measure the old sheets - not only the sheet size, but also the distance between the tops of the waves, and the height of the waves. Also measure the size of the garage.

You can get plastic sheets in a number of standard profiles, one of them is very likely to match your old sheets. It will be called "Asbestos Profile" or something like that.

The advantage of using the same profile is that it will fit any mortared-in gap-filling on top of the walls.

If you take the sheet size and profile dimensions to a builders merchant they will probably have a leaflet from the makers that you can take away and study. It will tell you sheet sizes available, and the spacing of the supporting timber required. It will probably also tell you the recommended fixings.

You buy the sheets in a bigger area than the garage, because you overlap them at the joints. You can overlap a bit extra to save cutting bits off to make them fit. The leaflet will tell you recommended minimum overlap (which varies by sheet type).

You can also get multi-wall polycarbonate sheets which are more expensive. and flattish (not corrugated).

probably the best product i have used in the past was a profiled steel section with a plastic coated finished surface. Its called PLASTISOL profile steel sheets. The finished plastic coating comes in any colour you fancy....even pink (imagine his face).
You can get it from your local steel merchants/stockholder/forge.
Honestly its great. easy to install and as it has a finished plastic coating it wont rust or discolour (providing you dont scratch it too deeply) and it looks great. :D

Sponsored Links
p.s

to work out how many you'll need:

(they come in any length required and are 1M /3'3"wide)

you only need approximate lengths (say to the nearest 2 " (50mm/5cm), so measure the approx length of the existing roofing sheet and you have your required lengths. Then measure the the long-length of the buiding and that should give you a idea of how many you may need. also remember that when you lay these sheets on the roof, they will need to overlap each other (approx 4"/100mm/10cm), but check with the supplier as to how much overlap is recommended.

Ookie wrote
I have been tasked by my boyfriend of sourcing some corrugated roofing sheets to replace the asbestos ones currently in place
Asbestos :?: :mad:

p.s.s

did you say aesbestos????? be extremely carfull if attempting to remove these sheets. it should be carried out by a certified contractor/buldier, but if you or someone you know decides to take on the job follow the safety guidlines. re-roofing's not worth your life?

paulpolly said:
p.s.s

did you say aesbestos????? be extremely carfull if attempting to remove these sheets. it should be carried out by a certified contractor/buldier, but if you or someone you know decides to take on the job follow the safety guidlines. re-roofing's not worth your life?

Only certain types of asbestos need certified contractors. Just try to avoid breaking up the sheets.

paulpolly said:
p.s.s

As static says, "Only certain types of asbestos need certified contractors."

Below is the infomation e-mail to me some time ago, from the Dept of Enviroment.

Asbestos fibres are released when cement sheeting is broken or drilled, sawn, scrubbed or sanded. The fibres can then become airborne where they can easily be inhaled and cause lung damage. Asbestos fibres are known to cause a cancer that is terminal in all cases.

Please remember that any work on asbestos cement garages may generate airborne asbestos fibres. The following precautions are given in good faith but all operations with asbestos are undertaken at the individual's own risk.

Asbestos cement can be safely removed by remembering these basic rules:-

1. Prepare the work area - remove any unnecessary items, cover the floor and surfaces with disposable polythene sheeting. (Not req if outside)

2. Wear protective clothing- disposable overall with hood, disposable paper face mask (for use with asbestos) and rubber or disposable gloves.

3. Damp down - use a plant sprayer or hosepipe but don't soak the area as this will make cleaning up more difficult.

4. Remove the asbestos without breaking it up, wrap in polythene sheeting or bags and seal with tape.

5. Visually inspect the area and clear up any debris by hand.

6. Pick up polythene sheeting and remove protective clothing and dispose of both as asbestos waste.

7. Wash hands and face after the job is completed.

8. Contact local authority for authorized disposal sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back