Garage Roof project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I Have built a 6m by 6m Garage with a flat roof I want to be able to lift and lower the roof so I can use a 2 post worm drive type car lift, The garage hight in its lower position e.g. sitting on the block work must not exceed the house eve hight of 3m, At this stage I am not sure the overall weight of the roof but I am looking for a a system to successfully cope with the lifting, I have not spent much time on this but my thoughts were to attach the lifting gear to the piers which I have constructed on both side of the garage 4 in total with angel steel work for support not sure whether any rear lifting would be necessary

Constructive comments please

Regards
Arrow1

Sponsored Links
This sounds like an ambitious project, did you see Tommy Walsh's
ultimate workshop? he built a elevating mezzanine floor operated using compressed air rams, this was however inside to building.
To elevate a complete roof would need some seriously lifting capacity, the roof would need to be one unit suitably guided, and lifted equally at a constant speed, and rise level.
It could be done, but would not be cheap, hydraulics would be preferable to pneumatics.

Wotan

Is there enough room to have a roof the slides out of the way on a set of extended tracks. I would take a look at some of the solution used for hobbyist telescope buildings.

Does the roof have to be insulating or just weatherproof?

For me, the obvious solution seems to be a retracting canvas/membrane roof.

Also please do this project, it's like something out of thunderbirds :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Could you not convert the roof to a pitched roof and use raised-tie trusses? Mine is 2.8 metres at the eaves (internally) and 3.3 metres at the ceiling.
Or are you limited to a flat roof?
At 6m X 6m it should have been subject to Building Regs.

How about a roof similar to the elevating roof of a VW camper van?
you would only have to lift a small section of roof, (the area of the largest vehicle you envisage lifting) it could be raised relatively easily using scissor lift type mechanism.
The fibre glass top of a long wheelbased transit, for example, would be ideal? added advantage, you would have a translucent roof light.

Wotan

Hi all

I would like to thank everybody for there constructive comments, projects of this kind are not new to me I like a challenge and don't mind putting in the effort to get the right result, wotan I like your idea of having a fibreglass roof section over the area with the two post lift reducing the expense of heavy lifting gear and with the added benefit of increased light, also I used to build fibreglass boats back in the day so creating a mold would not be a problem.

Regards

Arrow1

Hi all

I would like to thank everybody for there constructive comments, projects of this kind are not new to me I like a challenge and don't mind putting in the effort to get the right result, wotan I like your idea of having a fibreglass roof section over the area with the two post lift reducing the expense of heavy lifting gear and with the added benefit of increased light, also I used to build fibreglass boats back in the day so creating a mold would not be a problem.

Regards

Arrow1
If you do go that route, don't forget I will need a royalty payment :p :p
Best of luck..

Wotan

To be honest, The posts by.....

RedHerring
MarkWG
Wotan

....Are the best options, IMHO.

The pitched roof is a really good idea along with the scissor lift option, Because the roof tiles wont be disturbed surely??

If your going down the flat roof system then EPDM is the only way IMO.

I'd love to see pics/plans or any exsisting work.

Boggo tiles on a moving roof :D

Have you thought about maybe dropping the floor instead? Could double as a paddling pool when it rains :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back