Garage Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a new house and I think the garage might need a new roof..,
It doesn't seem to leak but the previous owner has put some guttering in the roof to stop the water puddling.
To be honest, I only use the garage for storing garden equipment etc so I'm not overly concerned about it, but the guttering from the roof goes straight onto the grass which floods/kills the grass so I need to repair that section.

Now I assume the bit of guttering was put there as a preventative measure to stop the roof leaking so I have temporarily covered it up to see what happens.

Any ideas on what I can do (cheap!) to waterproof it?
Would that waterproof bitumin paint and a layer of stones help?
Is there a way to add slope to the roof without ripping it all off? Then I could add some guttering round the edges.

Also, any ideas what this material is...
Woodfibre bitumin board?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
How much fall/gradient is there on the roof - any at all?

If you're careful could could jack it up from the inside using acro's then slip an extra wall plate in on one side. The existing roof will probably be held on by some form of restraint straps that you'll have to deal with.

Not a huge job then you'll just have to make good in areas where you need a new fascia board.

Whoever did the roof has overlaid the existing rotten chipboard, that's why it's sagging.

Aha, is that rotten chipboard then that is coming away on the inside?
Then they have overlaid it with plywood/new felt?

Is puddling a problem if it doesn't seem to be leaking or is it a problem waiting to happen? Can be upto 20mm in some areas.

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't actually leak what's the problem? Puddling is not a problem if the membrane doesn't leak. Doing anything to this roof is a waste of money, when it leaks then just do a proper job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back