Garage subsiding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed cracks in the brickwork of my detached garage. They weren't there last summer when I replaced a couple of windows.
We live on the border of chalk and clay. Garage was well built with piers etc. in C1980s.
Work started on a housing development behind our garden this spring. In May a large concrete slab was laid 4m from the garage, the Council said it was for a container.
Between the garage and the concrete slab is a hedgerow I planted 18 years ago comprising hazel, hawthorn and beech.
A surveyor friend has suggested monitoring the situation by taking photos which I have.
The biggest crack is about 20mm wide to the left of the door shown in the photo.
The rear corner of the garage is 1.5m left of the door.
Lintel is above the door and a window I replaced last summer.

I have left the hazel,hawthorn and beech trees grow to about 20ft to give a bit of privacy as new houses are being built just a couple of metres inside the boundary.

What are my options?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Sponsored Links
I would say that the tree roots are sucking up water out of the clay, which is then shrinking. Also the roots go out a long way from the trees (there are tables for this), but a working distance would be their height.
The weight of the garage is going downwards, so unless some one has removed a lot of soil depth near to the garage it would not have any effect.
Frank

Thanks Frank,

As shown by the picture of the slab quite a depth of soil was excavated followed by a lot of vibration to compact the hardcore base.

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back