Garden Electrics - cable size & small consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently sorting my garden and want to provide electrics outside, a couple of garden lights and maybe a socket and light in my shed. My shed is approx 20 metres from the house and socket will be used for lawnmower/pressure washer. What size cable and how many cores does it need as have seen many variations on ebay! Also regarding connecting it in the house - I ideally don't want to run the cable all the way to the junction box as that is another 30 metres from the back of the house as its a long thin terrace with no easy route. I have a heavy duty cooker cable (10mm) already running from the main junction box(MCB-1B50) to the rear of the house (25m) for when we put an electric oven in. Can this cable be used to to put a small consumer unit with 2 breakers in the kitchen - one for cooker and other for garden cable. What size MCB's would the small unit in the kitchen need? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am costing this up at the moment and would do all running of cables and get a qualified electrician in to do the connecting up.

Sponsored Links
Just speak to the electrician for advice. He will give you a costing (I doubt whether he'll want to certify for materials he hasn't supplied anyway).
He will also let you know what you can and can't do with regard to prelimary and preparation works.

Simples !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back