Garden electrics - someone help them!

Sponsored Links
Actually, the moderators/admin of that site should be made to delete that entire topic, unless they think it's OK to allow people to use their site to advocate the carrying out of criminal acts.

Actually, the moderators/admin of that site should be made to delete that entire topic, unless they think it's OK to allow people to use their site to advocate the carrying out of criminal acts.

I have noticed the moderators are actually the people posting in that forum! Frightening stuff

Sponsored Links

Free speech and all. I don't agree with what's being said on there, but if I was a moderator there than I'd be hard pushed to cite a good reason to delete the topic. After all, there's more than enough information on this site to allow anyone with a screwdriver and pair of cutters to carry out their own electrical work without notification (when and where necessary). We don't condone it, but all the information is there should someone decide to go down that path. Does that mean DIYnot should be closed down...?

Someone I know very well has a cable running through a blue 1/2 inch Alkathene water pipe. This runs under a patio along the bottom of a short hedge and into a pond. It is on a spur isolator from a shed supply but is almost certainly breaking the law. But it works well and is quite safe as he obviously has not been electrocuted yet. The rules are getting just a bit out of hand.

Unbelievable, and people are condoning it too! I may well think twice before cutting into a water main in future. Especially if they have a nice garden :)

Free speech and all. I don't agree with what's being said on there, but if I was a moderator there than I'd be hard pushed to cite a good reason to delete the topic.
Actually, you're probably right, given that one of the moderators there gave this advice:

Do as you like, I say, and sod the law.

Unbelievable.

After all, there's more than enough information on this site to allow anyone with a screwdriver and pair of cutters to carry out their own electrical work without notification (when and where necessary). We don't condone it, but all the information is there should someone decide to go down that path. Does that mean DIYnot should be closed down...?
No, because there is an enormous difference between the situation here, and that site where people are actively advised to ignore safety and to break the law.

Many thanks for the postings in gardenerscorner SecureSpark, hopefully they'll take note!

Could someone in the know please have a look at this thread on a gardening site and give some professional advice?
It's an uphill struggle dealing with their current arrangements of people advising that it's OK to break the law and to ignore the Wiring Regulations. They don't like to be told that it's not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back