Garden lighting a mess!?

Ban-all-sheds, lets assume what you say as correct. So the poor OP is going to have to say the following

"Hello BCO or Mr Part P registered electricain, I have just replaced some garden lights that come with plug in transformers, i have now plugged them in, indoors, can you please come and issue me a certificate, which will cost me lots of money."

Not going to happen is it.
Please show me where I said it had to.

They will think you are taking the P*** which you will be because you are only plugging the lights in.
They'll probably think "Oh look - someone else who doesn't understand the difference between being required to comply with the Building Regulations and being notifiable".

I also notice you chose to ignore the following.

All work on domestic fixed installations in England and Wales come under the scope of Part P, wether the work is notifiable or not is another matter.
Regardless of wether or not it is notifiable, all work must still comply with P1.
Schedule 2B deals with work which is non-notifiable, if the work only involves work with "pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections" which are suitable for it's intended use it will be non-notifiable.
Please explain in what way you think I ignored it.

breezer, you may actually be able to read, but there is no need to constantly prove otherwise.

Sponsored Links
as usual with you Ban-all-sheds you seem to have gone to the "Softus school of forum posting". what ever i post you will miss quote and end up having the thread locked.

I will let the readers decide

OK - I'll quote your entire post in full, with no responses interleaved, so that should deal with your "miss quote" (sic) allegation.

Ban-all-sheds, lets assume what you say as correct. So the poor OP is going to have to say the following

"Hello BCO or Mr Part P registered electricain, I have just replaced some garden lights that come with plug in transformers, i have now plugged them in, indoors, can you please come and issue me a certificate, which will cost me lots of money."

Not going to happen is it. They will think you are taking the P*** which you will be because you are only plugging the lights in.

You have to be practical about it, which you are not being.

I also notice you chose to ignore the following.

All work on domestic fixed installations in England and Wales come under the scope of Part P, wether the work is notifiable or not is another matter.
Regardless of wether or not it is notifiable, all work must still comply with P1.
Schedule 2B deals with work which is non-notifiable, if the work only involves work with "pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections" which are suitable for it's intended use it will be non-notifiable.

Ban-all-sheds, you may actually be a nice bloke, but there is no need constantly prove otherwise.
So will you now please do me, and the readers, the courtesy of showing us where I said that the OP would have to ask someone for a certificate, and of explaining in what way I ignored what Spark123 wrote?

So will you now please do me, and the readers, the courtesy of showing us where I said that the OP would have to ask someone for a certificate, and of explaining in what way I ignored what Spark123 wrote?
Apparently you won't.

Apparently you think it's OK to make false allegations.

Sponsored Links
Apparently you won't.

Apparently you think it's OK to make false allegations.

apparently you feel the need to resurrect threads just to be right as usual.

But he is not right in this case.

and like i said Ban-all-sheds is probably a nice bloke in reality, he just proves otherwise

(since when do you need part p / part p registered or part p checked to plug in a set of out door use lights that have a transfromer that is designed to be plugged in, indoors)

beezer, as an impartial observer of this thread, you are unfortunately incorrect in this instance..

at no point does BAS say that you need to get a registered part P sparky, BCO approval or even notify the LABC..
he never mentioins certificates are required..

he does however correctly state that ALL elecrtical work that is in, attatched to, fed from, or in common areas of a dwelling come under part P... in as much as part p says that all electrical installations should be designed and installed to minimise the risk of injury to persons or the risk of fire..

what is and is not notifiable to the LABC is a different story.. it ALL still has to be done safely..

.....................So if it's fixed, it's fixed - supplying it via a plug makes no difference at all.

he is telling the op that he can not plug his replacement set of plug in lights in doors, and that he must get it done via part P. (be that which ever way you want to do it)

Bearing in mind this set of lights, be they replacement or new are designed to be plugged in (since they come with their own version of a "wall wart" )

If he wasnt saying that why did he bother since the op was only asking about drying out the original or buying a new set of plug in lights.

so you mean to say that you would agree that you have to:

Get a part P registered electrician

or notify the BCO

Pay either one a fee

To watch you plug in a set of lights that are designed to be used outside?

I some how dont think so.

he didn't say you need to get it done via part P.. he just said that it comes under part p, in as much as it needs to be done safely..

the OP is on about finding some way to put non outdoor transformer plugs into a waterproof box oustdoors and plugging it into and outdoor socket..

so he's desigining an installation.. not just plugging in a plug indoors where it's supposed to be..

the original installer obviously didn't do it safely since the box filled with water and messed up the transformers..

it's a fixed install because it's permanent, it's not going to be takes down say after christmas...

you post, i post, you post, i post.

this is going nowhere.

we will have to agree to disagree, other wise, you post, i post, you post, i post. this is going nowhere.

because you won't admit that in this case you are wrong in what you thought BAS was saying.. and to the same extent what I am saying..

you keep on about notifying the LABC or getting a part P registered sparky in... neither of which BAS or I have said the OP would need to do..

he does however have to install the lights in a safe manner to reduce the risk of injury to persons or the risk of fire.. which is ALL that part P requires..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back