Garden lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone wish to comment?

I would like to wire up some lights in the garden and have been thinking about the B&Q wiring system with low voltage and transformer. All sounds easy enough, but, I don't like the idea of having it plugged into a socket. I really want to wire in a new light switch in the porch way to drive it. I'm going to be seeing a friend tonight who is an electrician, but before I embarrass myself by asking stupid questions. Is it feasible/acceptable to wire a transformer into a circuit that is switch by a standard wall switch? I would expect the circuit to be wired into the RCD box on its own connector (30amp I'm guessing). I'm assuming this is probably not possible, but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks..

Carl

Sponsored Links
most garden lighting kits have a transformer with built in / on plug so you have no choice, it must be plugged in.

I would not worry about sswwitching it on / off some come with built in timer / daylight sensor, if it doesnt fit one, much more conveiniant.

also most transformer in theses kits are double insulated, with short lead and transformer is usually to be mounted indoors, so no rcd protection required

only other thing to watch for, read box before you walk away with it, most low voltage garden lights are only 5 watts and some (most) can not be added to, also remember you do get what you pay for

Thanks for the response. We're trying to make it switchable as we only want to leave the lights on when guests turn up. Hence it would be really convieniant to have a switch by the entrance.... I'm guessing I'm going to have to find a different solution.... I'll wait till I have a word with my mate... Thanks

use a switched fcu for control and fit the socket in some form of secured (whether by screws or locks) enclosure to prevent tampering

Sponsored Links
you could always switch it via an external pir, comes on when guests arrive

I agree with plugwash. switch fused connection unit is the way to go if you want to easily use it to switch on and off from within your house.

Thanks all. Plugwash was correct in his recommendation. My friend recommended the same and actually showed me his installation at home!! I understand the schematics and hope to have wired up this weekend. Thanks all for your help.

P.S. Yep, going to use a waterproof rated socket in the garage for transformer to plug in...

why do you want a water proof socket INSIDE a garage to plug in a non waterproof transformer?

I was planning to buy the water proof transformer to go with it as I was concerned about it being in the garage. Do you think it would be ok to put a standard plug socket in and standard transformer? If so, would the socket need to be embedded into the wall or would the surface mounted white pastic backing be ok???

Regards

Carl

because its in a garage you may hit it (accidentaly of course, but it happens) i would suggest a metal clad socket / back box

most garden lights have moulded on transformer, yes you could cut it off, but there would be no point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back