Dimming LV garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....

I'm installing some low voltage garden ligts and would like to incorporate a dimmer.

My question is.... I have a standard dimmer switch (designed for low LV lights 40W - 300W and the lights are about 200W total).....but where does it go? On the input or output side of the transformer?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Low voltage lights usually do not have transformer.
Perhaps you mean Extra Low Voltage - typically 12volt?

If so the the dimmer will go on the mains voltage (230v) side. But you may have a problem. Your dimmer my be suitable for dimming these types of lamps BUT many of the outdoors type of transformer are not dim able.

Hi....

I'm installing some low voltage garden ligts and would like to incorporate a dimmer.
So don't forget to notify your Local Authority Building Control before the you start. ;)

My question is.... I have a standard dimmer switch (designed for low LV lights 40W - 300W and the lights are about 200W total).....but where does it go? On the input or output side of the transformer?
Thanks!
Are you talking about Extra Low Voltage lights?
Is the Transformer rated for dimming.
Will the ELV lights allow themselves to be dimmed?
If the lamps are too bright why not replace them with ones with a lower wattage?

Hi....

The dimmer would normally go before the transformer. But the transformer needs to be "dimmable" As already mentioned you may have a problems sourcing a dimmable transformer for outside use. You could get creative and use an indoor transformer then run the ELV wiring outside but frankly speaking, I question what real effect you will get dimming outside lights. Just a personal opinion but for me outside lights are either on or off or flashing at xmas

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies...

Yes, the lights are 12V so that makes them ELV. The transformer is mounted inside the garage (ie it's not IP rated for outdoor use). the bulbs are 35W Halogen.

Is there a way of telling if the transformer is dimable?

thanks!

I'm installing some low voltage garden ligts
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd comply with P1?

where does it go? On the input or output side of the transformer?
I worry that anyone asking a question like that really doesn't understand enough about electrical installations to be working on them.

Carrying out electrical work without understanding it is a very bad idea. Following instructions to "put this wire in that hole" without knowing why, and without knowing how it works, is to be strongly discouraged.

Of course everybody has to start somewhere, but you should start by acquiring a solid foundation of knowledge, not by diving into actually doing when you don't know how to do something so simple.

Please spend some time learning how electrical circuits work, what switches do, etc, before having a go - particularly with outside electrical installations.

To Mr Ban all Sheds.....This is an off-the-shelf 4 light B&Q set, everything included.... if I need planning permission and a letter from the Queen to install them maybe you know something they don't and you should share your wisdom with them?

To everyone else.... Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

To Mr Ban all Sheds.....This is an off-the-shelf 4 light B&Q set, everything included.... if I need planning permission and a letter from the Queen to install them maybe you know something they don't and you should share your wisdom with them?

To everyone else.... Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

I understand your frustration but it is often the "off the shelf" items that cause compliance issues and offer risk. B&Q used to sell downlights (within the last two years) that offered a huge risk of fire.

You do not need planning permission or a letter from the queen but you do need to notify building control of your plans then have them inspect the work or have a registered electrician do the work.

Agreed... but this is a transformer with a moulded plug mounted indoors powering some lights..... just like Christmas lights!!

Where do draw the eline??

Agreed... but this is a transformer with a moulded plug mounted indoors powering some lights..... just like Christmas lights!!

Where do draw the eline??

Oh I see. I must admit that I somehow got the impression that you were talking about fixed wiring in your original post. In the case of what have then obviously you do not need to involve building control but (and it goes without saying) there is still intrinsic and extrinsic danger in anything mains powered outside.

So you want to control the voltage reaching the moulded plug and you hope that will have the effect of dimming the lights?

I don't think that the moulded plug is likely to be a dimmable transformer. And even if it were I think [you] might have trouble setting it up to receive a variable voltage. Even if you were advised how to do it; it would be a bad idea because:-

• - prob not work
    - inherent dangers
    - it is a clumsey set up

I think you are better looking for a product that meet your specifications than attempting a modification.

?

If this is a plug in transformer, how do you plan to put a dimmer in-between the transformer and the supply?
From your description I would think that you'll not be needing to dim them :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back