spotlights and dimmers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would be grateful if some could help with a solution to following.

at the moment i have a double mains dimmer,that controls a picture light
and the main lighting in my living room.40w for the picture light and 180w for the ceiling light.

i would like to put in some low voltage lights instead of the main ceiling light.the picture light has to stay.i would like to run both of of a low voltage dimmer.

i have looked at range of slim brass dimmers on tlc,the unit can be dimmed at low voltage.the dimmer has rating of 300w,i would assume that it would be 300w for each gang.

so the picture light i would think will run under one gang,and the other 300w on the low voltage lights.

what would be my best option 6x50w or 8x35w?

also would it be better to have a transformer for each light ?

Sponsored Links
i would say 8 x35 watts, more of an even light. ideally each light should have its own electronic transformer.

but some may say have mains lamps, no transformer required

i would have liked to use mains downlights,because the added cost of the transformers.

but because the missus wants the double brass flat plate dimmer,one for the picture light.

because that dimmer type only gives me 300w to play with on low voltage downlights.i will go for the 8x 35w =280w.

is that to close to 300w mark?

Allan, The dimmers are NOT low voltage, they work at 230V, a 12V dimmer capable of dimming 300W would be VERY expensive.

As for the lights, you want brass downlights, well why not a JCC Lighting 2033BR, these are the same diameter as 12V GU5.3 fittings, however they take GU10 230V Halogen Lamps.

They do a number of brass coloured GU10 fittings, I would suggest that you look at their website here

Do a search for 240V Halogen Downlights

If you still decide to go for the 12V Halogens, by all means get individual transformers, unless you have somewhere you could mount a 300W Transformer. However I would suggest you get wire wound transformers rather than electronic ones.

Wire wound will last at least 10 times longer..not true actually, I have never known one fail unless overloaded, electronic ones are cr*p, I never install them.

Also, wire wound transformers take dimming better than electronic, there is not sharp cut-off point that you get with some of the cheaper transformers, and the wore wound are comparable in price, sometimes cheaper.

For the Wire wound look in Yellow pages under Electrical Wholesalers, find one in your area and go there for your gear..but don't bother with City Electrical Factors...they make B&Q look professional :)

Sponsored Links
when fitting gu10 lamps to dimmer switches the max load of the lamps needs derating by half so 150w is the max amount you can put on a 300w dimmer switch

FWL_Engineer said:
..but don't bother with City Electrical Factors...they make B&Q look professional :)

Hear, hear... and Newey and Eyre, unless you're a big-time contractor spending thousands!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back