Garden Office Build Thread- Start to finish with pics!

Hi deemo- liked the garden room extension you posted up- that would be a nice addition to any home. I quite like the blue doors! I didn't actually have any plans done- I just downloaded a free version of google sketchup and planned the structural and studwork on that- the rest I've just made up on the go.

Thanks for the comment also Beefy- Go for it- it's tiring but hugely rewarding.

Whilst I'm a keen amateur- I don't feel I know enough about the planning requirements etc. so I wouldn't want to give you erroneous info. I used the planning portal online and contacted the planning authority to make sure of compliance with rules. Have a good search on here as well- there's loads of info, but be careful of older posts.

The only thing I think I recall for sure is if it's over 30 sq metres you're probably going to need building regs.

In my case, I had to keep it under 2.5m because it has a flat roof and is within 2m of a boundary- I think. I did enough research to ensure I needed neither planning nor Building regs.

Have a look at the interactive house and the more detailed explanations on the planning portal online. Be well informed before you speak to your planning department as the first guy I spoke to didn't know what was allowed with Permitted Development rights and got quite shirty with me right up until the point I showed him the relevant legislation and proved him wrong.

Good luck if you go ahead and make sure you post it on here for us to see.

Sponsored Links
Thought I might as well post an update whilst I'm logged in:

I've finished most of the external battening for cladding now- I need to insulate the roof space above the walls before I can finish up- easily sorted with PIR offcuts and a can of sprayfoam!

I've done 3/4 of the frames for the surrounding decking. The front and back deck frames are sorted structurally so they can be used as walkways. The side deck that you can see on the pic has just been attached with coach bolts to help me get the levels right. Some post hole digging and postcreting will be needed before it can be walked on. Front and back solid with no bouncing- so I'm happy so far.

Got my underfloor heating and thermal underlay now, 3 sparks been in this week to quote for electrics- still waiting for them all to come back. Burglar alarm being purchased when I've finished this update.

Cladding next big job to be done.

It currently looks like this:

View media item 73565

Done a lot of the cladding now, one side wall and the eaves of the veranda left to go. It's been a long slog- carrying, measuring and cutting- but I'm starting to see the end in sight now for the exterior:

View media item 73704
Still deciding on how to stain the cladding- not quite made my mind up on black ash, looking at alternatives at the moment.

Got my electrician lined up for Tuesday/Wednesday- 30m of armoured cable, a cosumer unit, 9 LED Downlights (6 internal, 3 external), 3 two-gang sockets, underfloor heating, burglar alarm and HD projector going in. I'm going to do the wiring for the audio/visual stuff.

Hopefully start plasterboarding by next weekend and I'm on the home straight!

It would be better if you stained the individual pieces a full covering before fitting. Better protection and less likely to start warping when you stain the one side only. I started staining individual sections one side only before fitting and they went concave but sufficient fixings could maybe prevent this?
You will need to make sure the rear of the cladding has air movement. When placing horizontal strapping there will need to be gaps so the air can vent. Top and bottom venting important to set up the flow and keep things dry n rot free.

looking good. Hats off for the motivation doing it so quickly and through the winter. I just cant be bothered until the evenings are nice n bright again.

Sponsored Links
I've gone a bit quiet for a few days, so thought I'd do a quick update again.

Firstly-Thanks to FMCK for the info regarding cladding and battening- will bear that in mind for when I finish the outside.

I start my new job in earnest on Monday so I have to focus on getting the inside habitable as I need the office space.

Sparks came in on Wednesday and did an excellent job- wiring's now in and 30m of armoured cable ran to the garage. They should be back next week to connect everything and test it, once I'm done plasterboarding.

Finished insulating the walls which was not fun. Copious amounts of spray foam to fill any gaps and it's starting to feel warmer already.

View media item 73976
Started plasterboarding- quite a fun job made a lot harder by the fact that I have stupidly messed up the spacing between studs. This is the biggest single mistake I've made during the Build- hardly a single board has begun and ended on a stud. A lot more cutting and scrim taping than strictly necessary. You live and learn!

View media item 73977
View media item 73978
Got two walls done and my bro is coming round this weekend to help me do the ceiling.

On the entertainment front- I've just received a 1080p optoma projector, screen and an LG 5.1 cinema surround sound system. Will upgrade the LG later, but budget is now tight.

Will update again after the weekend.

Hi, I was thinking of doing something similar to this project, but slightly bigger! Could you give me any pointers about;
Does the structure need to be a set distance from the property line?
Is the height or dimensions limited by reg's?

There you go ;)

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

if the outbuilding is within 1m of the boundary make sure it's non-combustible materials. I've used 2nd hand precast concrete slabs on the boundary line then claddings over it

You're doing well primarycause :)

After a month's hiatus, I think it's high time I update you.

I haven't been cracking along at my previous pace for a while now due to my new job starting in earnest and having to fit work in whenever I can.

Got the interior boarded out, but didn't have the patience to tape and joint the seems to a good finish. Paid a local plasterer for a skim- £165 well spent, methinks.

View media item 75053
3 more days, then I can paint it. In the meantime the sparks are back in to finish the sockets, lights and install consumer unit. Got some nice satin finish sockets and light switches from Ebay and have some architrave and skirting coming from Selco.

Home cinema stuff and office furniture waiting to go in with 3 giant beanbags for gaming/reading/watching/sleeping.

Finished the cladding on the verandah now- looking more like it from the outside- Just need decking, guttering, lights and staining to finish exterior now:

View media item 75051
Finishing line in sight now.

Looking good. Inspired me to stop the gym in the evenings and get back on with mine. I did tape and sand mine but it would of been a better job getting someone more professional in. Carpet tiles about to go down. I had a hell of an experience using a coving adhesive from B&Q that didn't set. I always used pink grip in the past I will in the future.

Funny thing is I was also thinking along the lines of gaming bean bags. Although much to the horror of my rather large(fat) friend.

Thanks FMCK. Glad your build is cracking on again. Any picture update on yours? I can't wait to see your finished project!

Had the spark in again today to connect and test. All electrics working and the underfloor heating. I also got the chance to hook my projector up for a dry run of the home cinema experience.

View media item 75193
View media item 75194
Bean bags have come Today- they're really comfy but huge- 1700 x 1300. Should do nicely.

Just waiting for the skim coat to fully dry so I can paint, then flooring, skirting and architraves- job done inside.

Then a few bits externally to finish!

Just a quick interim update as I'm going away for the rest of the week and there won't be anymore progress until the following weekend.

Painted the outside now- Used Cuprinol Shades in Ash Black. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I really like how it's turned out.

I've done a mist coat and a first coat on the inside with Dulux trade supermatt- looking bright and shiny already. Only really starting to realise what a great job the plasterer did- haven't touched a bit of sandpaper and the finish will be perfect. One more coat to do then I can do the underfloor heating and the laminate floor, then the internal joinery, AV then move in!!!!

A couple of pictures as it stands now, with the external LEDs on:

View media item 75359
View media item 75358

After a relatively easy job putting down the underfloor heating, had an absolute nightmare with the cheap 6mm laminate I bought from Selco- looked terrible and felt like a trampoline. After 8 hours (!!!!!) of trying to correct it- I ripped it out.

Went to BandQ- they had a pre-bank holiday 4 for 3 deal so I got some nice, quality 12mm laminate- saving £75 into the bargain.

Put the better laminate down in 2 hours and it's a proper job- looks and feels quality:

View media item 75976
View media item 75977
I've now plumbed in all of the A/V and surround sound speakers. Bought a red PS A/V cabinet from ikea- quality piece of kit for the money (don't trust the stock checker on the website- took three visits despite it supposedly being in stock each time).

Skirting is now in, but needs painting and caulking. Architraves round the patio door still to do, projection screen to put up and then some touching up here and there and the interior is done.

Builder's skip being ordered for the bank holiday weekend and a big push to finish the outside.

Nearly there.

The only thing I think I recall for sure is if it's over 30 sq metres you're probably going to need building regs.
As you will if it contains a consumer unit or any new electrical circuits.

I did enough research to ensure I needed neither planning nor Building regs.
So no notifiable electrical work then?

"I did enough research to ensure I needed neither planning nor Building regs."

This comment was made in the context that someone had asked a question regarding the dimensions of the building and it's implications on regs:

"Hi, I was thinking of doing something similar to this project, but slightly bigger! Could you give me any pointers about;
Does the structure need to be a set distance from the property line?
Is the height or dimensions limited by reg's?"

I also replied that I was no expert, didn't want to give them erroneous information and pointed them to the planning portal. So as you can see- my comment had nothing to do with building regs as it relates to electrics.

I have paid a qualified electrician a good amount of money to fit all of the electrics. They have done so and issued me with an NICEIC test certificate for the electrics- I told them before the work commenced that it all needs to be above board for when I sell the property- they told me that this is what was required, so I trusted them and I was happy with that.

If I am requirted to do more notification in relation to this work, the only error I have made is to trust the word of a professional tradesman.

I can't really see the point of your post or what value you've added to the thread. Thanks for your participation, though!

I have paid a qualified electrician a good amount of money to fit all of the electrics. They have done so and issued me with an NICEIC test certificate for the electrics- I told them before the work commenced that it all needs to be above board for when I sell the property- they told me that this is what was required, so I trusted them and I was happy with that.
That's fine.

If I do indeed to do more notification in relation to this work, the only error I have made is to trust the word of a professional tradesman.
They will handle the notification for you. Don't know when they finished - FYI you are supposed to receive a building regulations compliance certificate within 30 days of the completion of the work.

I can't really see the point of your post or what value you've added to the thread. Thanks for your participation, though!
The point is that the thread is about a self-build - that might have included the electrics, in which case from your POV the sooner you could have sorted out BR approval the better, and from other's POV it may be a help to know that, despite the truly appalling wording of the Building Regulations, notifiable electrical work remains notifiable even in buildings which are supposedly exempt from the Building Regulations.

Thank you for so succinctly and eloquently confirming that I've taken the correct course of action in respect of the electrical work carried out on my Garden office.

Thanks also for establishing that I did respond appropriately to beefpotnoodle's questions in respect of building dimensions and their interaction with the relevant regulations.

Although, I must add that having seen your "helpful" posts in the past, I'm pretty sure that your post contained no real altruistic intent in respect of educating myself or any other visitors to this forum.

I think that in all probability, your post was most likely a thinly veiled (albeit transparent) attempt to belittle someone who you (wrongly) thought you knew better than.

I hope that this exchange has equally been a learning experience for you and has helped to educate you in the benefits of:

1) Being more informed, and;
2) Reading threads more thoroughly

Heeding both lessons above will ensure that you avoid blundering in and should help limit your future potential for embarassing yourself on a public forum.

However, even badly informed opinions contribute to the debate, so thanks for stimulating this discussion. As you state, this probably will raise more awareness of how building regulations impact electrical installations in garden offices- which can only be a positive outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back