Garden office electrics tripping main consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So last summer we built a garden office, and had an electrician in to complete works. We have an armoured cable from our main consumer unit to a consumer unit inside the garden office.

All of a sudden the power and lighting is being tripped in the garden office.

There are no switches tripped in the consumer unit that is installed in the garden office, but the switch is tripped on our main consumer unit in the house, and also I noticed a burning smell when I went to check the main consumer unit out…

At first I thought it could be an issue with the LED down lights we have on a dimmer switch, as one of them has always been dimmer than than the other 5, and they all seem to flicker before the electrics trip.

Trying to get the original electrician back to investigate, but if anyone has an idea what the issue could be then any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try to isolate the lighting circuit inside the garden office and see if house resets ok. If it does then fault is on lighting circuit. If not then isolate sockets and see if it resets. That will at least help electrician narrow fault. It could also be a fault on swa cable, I've seen them corroded before which has caused faults

Sponsored Links
PartID_CU.jpg
Hope this helps identify, the Isolator should never trip, the MCB will only trip with overload, the RCD will not trips on overload it trips due to an imbalance between power in and power out, it assumes due to some going to earth so trips. And the RCBO is a MCB and RCD combined.

If you have a burning smell at the main consumer unit in the house then you need to get an electrician out immediately to take the cover off and check the connections. For the safety of you and your family please get this checked immediately, do not wait for the original electrician if they are not available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back