Garden Office insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this sort of overlaps with another topic already posted on here, but not quite....

I've just bought a "garden room" which I'm intending to use as an office. It's a wooden building made from "tongue and groove weatherboard" apparently.

Anyway, the underside of the floor has already been insulated (by the manufacturer) and the windows and door are double glazed units, so I just need to do the walls and ceiling. The plan is to put in 3 or so inches of insulation, and then cover it with some sort of panelling - probably plywood or MDF.

Now for the insulation there's a couple of options I've been reading about; the "expanded polystyrene" type and "rockwool", but I've a few questions I need answers to if anyone can help.

1. Is there much difference in the heat and sound insulation between the two types of product? i.e. Is one significantly better than the other? I need the building to be warm but I also to cut down on the echo that you get in a wooden building.

2. Do I need to install some sort of "vapour barrier" with either product to deal with the inevitable condensation? If so does it need to go between the external wall and the insulation or between the insulation and the interior panelling.
I believe that it's supposed to go on the "warm" side of the insulation, but that's only from watching TV programs, which may not be the best source of information.
Does the material used for the pannelling make any difference?

Any advice?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back