Garden Office Power Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at running a power supply to a garden office for 8 double sockets, an internal lighting circuit and an external lighting circuit.
In my home consumer unit (house was fully rewired with new CU in 2020), I have a spare B40 MCB.
Am I able to go from the B40 with 6mm T&E to 3 Core 6mm SWA (connected with Wago connectors and gland connector in IP66 wall box) buried underground to the office where that will be connected to 6mm T&E inside another IP66 wall box with gland kit, through the office wall and then go to an internal 3 way Axiom CU?
From the 3 way Axiom CU in the office, I was going to use the B32 for the sockets ring main, the B16 for the 6 internal 4w spot lights and the B6 for the external light.
Am I able to do that from the B40 MCB in the house CU?

Sponsored Links
Am I able to go from the B40 with 6mm T&E to 3 Core 6mm SWA (connected with Wago connectors and gland connector in IP66 wall box) buried underground to the office where that will be connected to 6mm T&E inside another IP66 wall box with gland kit, through the office wall and then go to an internal 3 way Axiom CU?
That could be done, but a much easier option is to use SWA throughout, and not bother with any additional connections or boxes.

From the 3 way Axiom CU in the office, I was going to use the B32 for the sockets ring main, the B16 for the 6 internal 4w spot lights and the B6 for the external light.
Could also be done, but a ring circuit for a single room is pointless, a few LED lights does not need a 16A circuit, and the outside light doesn't need it's own circuit either.

All of this requires RCD protection, and it's notifiable work.

Could also be done, but a ring circuit for a single room is pointless, a few LED lights does not need a 16A circuit, and the outside light doesn't need it's own circuit either.

All of this requires RCD protection, and it's notifiable work.

The house CU is a 10-way one split into 2 lots of 5 MCBs. Each lot of 5 has a RCD on it. Is that what you mean by "requires RCD protection"?
As for the office CU (also having RCD protection), would a 2 way one be better and run a radial circuit off it for the sockets and a single lighting circuit for the indoor and outdoor lighting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back