Garden Office TV mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for reading this and offering any advice you might have.
Over the summer I built a pre-fabbed garden office. It went together quite well, some hiccups aside.
The walls are 44mm Spruce which I insulated with 25mm insulation board inbetween batons screwed along the walls and then topped off with 5mm plywood.
I want to mount a TV on one of the side walls. The TV is 40" and weighs about 6 or 7 KGs. It will be attached to a VESA mount and the mount will be attached to the wall.
I have two questions in this regard:
1. Would screws into the wood be enough to secure the VESA mount or would it be better to use bolts and go right through the walls and have the bolts on the outside wall?
2. Given that the inner wall is plywood and insulation, what are the chances that tightening the bolts will crack the plywood?

Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Decay

Sponsored Links
You dont need to go right through. For extra strength you could screw another piece of 5mm ply to the area that you want to mount the tv, bigger than the mount area but smaller than the tv so you do not see it. You can screw it on with plenty of screws then safely use just the 4 normal fixing holes in your mount on the now 10mm ply.
Use something like a 5x30 screws for the mount.

Last edited:
5mm is very thin for a liking, span a couple of the uprights with a piece of 18mm ply or similar and attach to that.

Sponsored Links
It will be 10mm if he follows my advice. spanning uprights with 18mm is over the top IMO, its a 40inch tv not 400 and no doubt he has some spare 5mm ply lying around. He could add glue to the extra 5mm before he screws it on to the existing with plenty of screws

Last edited:
I'd rather buy a piece of 18mm, screwed into the wall supports, and know the TV won't fall off the wall, than use a piece of scrap 5mm and hope it doesn't.
What money you save on using the 5mm certainly won't cover the cost of a replacement TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back