Garden out building extending the roof - is this allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a concrete garage at the end of my garden, its 2.5M X 5M right on the boundary. I'd like to turn into a workshop. I'm planning on replacing the roof but want to make it larger so it overhangs making the roof 3M X 6M.

So the internal building will remain the same at 12m2 but the roof area will be 18m2. Can I do this?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I believe the relevant legislation for this is below, and would not be permitted if the overhang can be proven to be a verandah.

(h) it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;

So I actually had to look up verandah "a large, open porch, usually roofed and partly enclosed, as by a railing, often extending across the front and sides of a house"

Still non the wiser :unsure:

Can’t see it being mistaken for a verandah , quick phone call to council planning dept can often help .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back