Garden Retaining Wall

Thanks Ree - I'll answer as best as i can:

Both walls are free standing on the concreted foundations he put in.

The copings are just cut down slabs which he used for our patio. They
haven't been sealed.

I don't know if the seating was pointed at the back. It isn't tilted.

I will ask him of the mix of the render - I know that it was the pigmented type so that we did not need to paint it.

I'm not aware of any prep to the block - what should he have done to prep them ?

The wall just cuts into the turf and there are 6 steps from the patio up to the garden.

No repairs have been done.

The patio is at ground level. On one side is our house and on the other side is the retaining wall which contains the raised garden grass area (our property is on a slope). Alastairreid suggested digging back from the wall to install a membrane - to do that I thought I'd need to get a digger up onto the garden level to dig from that side. I was just wondering if the pictures indicate that this can't be done.

Thanks Ree

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The front rendered wall is not a retaining wall, only the rear block wall is retaining.

But the blocks are incorrect - they should be hollow concrete blocks (three cell are best) 16" x 8" x ? Typically, block retaining walls have re-bar inserted horizontally & vertically, & the cells filled with concrete grout.

Both walls should have been built off a single foundation.

However, ground pressure doesn't seem to be the present problem. The staining being due to whats been discussed above.

If the render was replaced with a prepped surface - S&C slurry or SBR - & re-rendered in a simple mix of 3:1 S&C, & the copings and bench stones were adequate then you might get some years before any more difficulties arose. Or, as above, prep-fix SS mesh.

Perhaps consider coping stones that will span both walls?

Applying a membrane to the front face would cause yet more difficulties, & digging out & applying a membrane to the rear wall would be for what? The cavity is a loose fill of earth, moisture has already breached the rear wall, its in the cavity. And, as far as i can see, water penetration from beyond the retaining wall is not the problem.

OP, if you go for digging a trench option then a couple of groundwork guys would handball that out in a morning - all due safety considered.

And perhaps the simplest and most straightforward solution would be as suggested in the first response: Face it up with brick?

Thanks Ree

Sounds like you feel the trench option is best. Will I need to add drainage ?

Will the wall fall over if he doesn't dig back and add drainage ?

Thanks so much for your help

No, i dont "feel the trench is the best option". I've simply discussed options. Noseall's option of a brick, or brick slips, facing would be your simplest option.

Now drainage is mentioned. Are you saying that there is no drainage anywhere in the retaining wall?

There is no likelihood of the wall falling over. The safety aspect is of sodden earth collapsing into a five foot trench plus we still dont know how the land goes beyond the retaining wall - i presume that it rises?

Thanks Ree

I'm sorry I don't follow which trench you refer to - do you mean if he excavates a trench behind the wall the sodden earth could fall into it ? The earth is mainly clay - which may help ?

I don't think there is any drainage built into the wall.

You're right the land rises beyond the retaining wall - I've added more pictures now in the daylight...

//www.diynot.com/network/Clair77/albums/

Looks messy. Even if you build a new skin in front it will still likely leak through.
A nice example of why poured concrete is the best solution for retainers.
Even with no drainage they can still cope.

What is the purpose of the stepped plinth in front of the wall?

If you excavate behind the wall and do the drainage properly it will be a good start.
And piped away into the storm water drains.

Then you can decide if you want the wall re plastered or re skinned with decorative block or brickwork.
Not easy making a silk purse out off a pigs ear. It will probably cost you double of the original cost to have it sorted properly.

You should have called cowboy busters. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back