Garden shed questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace my worn out shed with a new one. I have a read a few posts on here & the general consensus is to build it yourself. I don't have enough diy experience to do this, so am looking to buy one.
What makes a shed a good one?

I looked at some yesterday @ one company. They do 3 different designs. These are for a 10' X 8' shed.

Classic- 35 X 45 planed timber. Cladding size shiplap 19 X 125mm finished @15mm thick . Roof 12mm t.v.g on 35mm X 70mm frame. 20kg green mineral roofing felt. Not sure on price

Premier- Frame size 35mm x70mm planed timber. Cladding as above. Roof as above & felt. Cost £840(base coat). £150 to erect. Bloke reçommends bearers £80 & £30 to deliver

Robust- Frame size 35mm X 70mm. Mostly as above, but with 22mm shiplap cladding. You get another window in this one. That is priced @ £1120.

On all of them you can have a top coat (spirit based)@£160 or top coat (sadolin)@£210. The bloke didn't push me to buy cheap or expensive. Said look at website & make your choice. They put doors & windows in which ever side you want.
Do they seem well built? Is 22mm shiplap alot better than 15mm. Apologies if I have missed any important info. Cheers for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Its a shame you cant ‘have a go’ at building your own :( as you will get a far better longer lasting bespoke shed for not a lot more.
I built mine which when i looked at a specific size/use/material it was circa £4-£7k
I built it, fully insulated, plastered with electrics & double glazed upvc doors (ebay) for £2k.

In general, you get what you pay for. Can the old shed not be repaired?
And what will the shed be used for? Storing plant pots and a spade is different to using it as a workshop every night, or storing thousands of pounds of bikes and tools

Sponsored Links
In general, you get what you pay for. Can the old shed not be repaired?
And what will the shed be used for? Storing plant pots and a spade is different to using it as a workshop every night, or storing thousands of pounds of bikes and tools

Unfortunately it's beyond repair. My foot went through the floor not so long ago, it leaks. It was 2nd hand about 12 year's ago. It will mostly be used for storing garden tools, electrical items etc. I want to put a work bench in aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back