Garden Tap Dribble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I did use the search option but feel i did not find my answer.
Last summer i had an outside tap installed by a plumber.
I was told it had to be the type with the check valve built into the tap.
In the kitchen is an isolation valve "screw in the middle type" which supplies the outside tap.
Just before the cold weather come i fitted a jacket over the outside tap & up until then no problems at all.
Today i went to use the tap but when fully turned on there is a dribble.
I turned off the water at the mains and removed the tap section so i could look down inside the body of the tap.All i could see was what looked like a tubular section of brass,like a bullet.
I turned on the mains water expecting to have a huge fountain from the tap body but nothing ?
The inside of the body had some water in it of which i flicked out but watching it for a while i could see the level rising and filling the body up again.

Any suggestions on the problem,or can you point me in the direction of a photo showing the internal workings etc so i can go from there.
I did not turn off the isolation valve & leave the outside tap open in the winter as i thought the jacket would be ok ?

Sponsored Links
In the kitchen is an isolation valve "screw in the middle type" which supplies the outside tap.
Just before the cold weather come i fitted a jacket over the outside tap & up until then no problems at all.

Unfortunately, those taps are notorious for doing as yours has. Tour plumber is right in saying that the install has to have a double check valve, but wrong in stating that it must be built in. (If indeed he said that). Most decent plumbers would fit a stand alone DCV inside the house.

Having said that, price is often everything, and the built in ones are a little cheaper. I am not having a pop at you, but some customers grind trades down, and when they insist on getting 5 quotes for a piddling job, some plumbers will do everything to reduce the ££'s. Some will walk away.

I don't think ypu can repair the tap, but they cost peanuts, and as ypu have manged to remove the old, you can probably just fit a new one:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/garden-tap-..._ggl_0006635&gclid=CISCrPbGtK4CFWIntAod9Gb3Ow

I am sure you can find one cheaper.

I have supplied a photo of the tap in question.
Is this tap made by peglar ?
I ask as i have seen a few taps but where they scren onto the fitting at the wall is on an angle where my tap fits in horizontal.
If i split the tap where the arrow is pointing can i then just screw on the new tap and job done ?

tap.jpg

dont know the make but yes any threaded outside tap will screw into that backplate ... might want to add a bit of ptfe tape aswell

Sponsored Links
Whoever told you that is going against current thinking. Bib taps (outsider) are prone to freezing. The DCV within them is made of plastic. Water freezes - DCV breaks.
Fit a 'normal' bib tap with a DCV indoors.

Yours does indeed look like a PeglEr bib tap.
Here's the spares diagram:
30014_h.jpg

Hello
I cant fit anything else inside because of the pipework & where it is situated so i need to fit the same which is a shame.
Stupid because if i am away and there is a freeze the first thing i need to do is replace the tap again ??
Can you advise what the dcv for the inside would look like just in case i could do something.
In respect to the photo shown below am i correct in thinking that the damaged item is where i am pointing to ?

5223.jpg

ok fine

what does the dcv for the inside the property look like as i cant keep replacing the outside tap

what does the dcv for the inside the property look like
unbranded-dzr-double-check-valve-28mm.jpg

In respect to the photo shown below am i correct in thinking that the damaged item is where i am pointing to ?
Yes and no.
Not 100% certain about the Pegler 142HU, and can't check as I'm off work at the mo, but most makes have 1 check valve by the inlet and the other by the outlet.
The picture below shows, just inside the threaded tail, one half of its white plastic DCV. The other will be just inside the male thread for the hose union. Normally held in place by circlips or brass rings.

TCBBC05DCV.jpg

The dcv you show looks what what i have for an isolation vale but mine dont have the dcv in it.
I wonder if the dcv would just swap like for like in size with my isolation vale so i can fit another outside tap without any valves in ??

The dcv you show looks what what i have for an isolation vale but mine dont have the dcv in it.
I wonder if the dcv would just swap like for like in size with my isolation vale so i can fit another outside tap without any valves in ??

A combined islotion/DCV is likely to be longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back