garden turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advise and tips on laying new turf in my garden.we have just put some top soil which is very soft.do we need to compact it before laying new turf .i have plate compactor i can use.do we need compost spread over before or what else needs doing before laying turf.i also need advise on what type of compost i need .this is brand new garden with new top soil in it.my plan is puttig new privet evergreen hedgind all around first.is multi purpose compost ok to mix in soil before hedging is plnted.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Where are you getting your turf from ? if I were you I would lightly rake the topsoil so your about level and using the heels of your feet walk over everything and compact, never use a plate compactor because turf wont grow right with too much compaction, you need to leave the turf to settle on its own to get the best results.
Depending on how much you want to spend depends on the results you will achieve like most things. I am a landscaper and I only ever use rolawn and occasionaly farnabies, depending on where in yorkshire your from you may of heard of it.

Rolawn and farnabies both sell a topsoil with blended loam in and its perfect for laying turf on.

Depending on the quality of levels you want to achieve depends on what you do next. With patience decent results can be given by finely laying topsoil with a rake or soft brush and laying from there but I always lay straight pieces of timber or steel bar to the finished height I need to be and then using a straight edge scrape over these creating a perfectly level bed, this is otherwise known as screeding.

When laying your turf always remember to lay in brickwork fashion and not lay cut next to cut and once laid if your standing on the turf lay boards over it to stand on as it will be very soft especially in this type of season.

One last tip, try to lay when we have a sustained dry period or wet period without frosts till the turf has time to root.

Sponsored Links
Where are you getting your turf from ? if I were you I would lightly rake the topsoil so your about level and using the heels of your feet walk over everything and compact, never use a plate compactor because turf wont grow right with too much compaction, you need to leave the turf to settle on its own to get the best results.
Depending on how much you want to spend depends on the results you will achieve like most things. I am a landscaper and I only ever use rolawn and occasionaly farnabies, depending on where in yorkshire your from you may of heard of it.

Rolawn and farnabies both sell a topsoil with blended loam in and its perfect for laying turf on.

Depending on the quality of levels you want to achieve depends on what you do next. With patience decent results can be given by finely laying topsoil with a rake or soft brush and laying from there but I always lay straight pieces of timber or steel bar to the finished height I need to be and then using a straight edge scrape over these creating a perfectly level bed, this is otherwise known as screeding.

When laying your turf always remember to lay in brickwork fashion and not lay cut next to cut and once laid if your standing on the turf lay boards over it to stand on as it will be very soft especially in this type of season.

One last tip, try to lay when we have a sustained dry period or wet period without frosts till the turf has time to root.
thanks paul for detailed advice and tips.is there a certain time of the year you can lay turf on.would you know any turf suppliars bradfod west yourkshire.would it be cheaper to buy online .

now is a very good time of year, plenty of rain and less likely you will be walking all over it

Like thermo said, its a very good time of year now, due to the fact that its raining frequently means it makes your job a hell of a lot easier, and if your on a water meter a lot more well off in the pocket.
I would definately think about using rolawn, I am not sure where you live but if I order a roll of turf from farnabies it will cost roughly £1.80, dont forget these should be a metre square which makes measuring easy.
If you order from rolawn your going to be looking at £3.00 a roll, I get it for £2.00 so it might be slightly less for you, if you look in terms of 30 rolls the difference is only about £30.00 and I think rolawn quality is far superior.

You can go on there website and find a local builders merchants that will stock it, deliveries to my builders merchants usually come in on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you lived closer I could quote ya ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back