Garden wall extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to extend or replace a garden wall.
The existing one is about 18" high by 10' long, double brick thick.
The extension would add about 5' to the height.
It is the boundary wall of the end of the garden, with a gate access on one side.

The foundations are 6" deep, and slightly wider than the wall, the wall was built using secondhand bricks from the different colours of the bricks.

Not sur if 6" is deep enough for a 6'6" high wall.
I doubt it.
Not sure what is under the foundations, whether stone, rubble or soil.

There are shrubs on the outside of the existing wall, some roots have come through.

Apart from external bricks is there any other spec for the bricks that I should use?

One merchant is goinig to quote for concrete bricks, faced to look like bricks, not heard of these before, are they ok?

Were I to build a new wall, would a mini digger be better than hand digging due to the roots that are already there?

Why are some walls built with a gap down the whole height of it?

Sponsored Links
John.Stitch said:
Not sur if 6" is deep enough for a 6'6" high wall.
I doubt it.
So do I. It depends on your local geology. On exposed bedrock, that would be fine, in London clay, I'd go down at least a couple of feet.

John.Stitch said:
Not sure what is under the foundations, whether stone, rubble or soil.
Only way to find out is dig.

John.Stitch said:
Apart from external bricks is there any other spec for the bricks that I should use?
Depends how permanent you want the wall. All run of the mill bricks are suitable for outdoor use, Just about any will do the job. Some will deteriorate within a couple of hundred years, whereas engineering grade bricks will last for millennia. They are slightly more difficult to lay though.

John.Stitch said:
One merchant is goinig to quote for concrete bricks, faced to look like bricks, not heard of these before, are they ok?
Don't know.

John.Stitch said:
Were I to build a new wall, would a mini digger be better than hand digging due to the roots that are already there?
This is a hard one. You pays your money and takes your choice. Do you prefer digging or twiddling levers. Calouses and blisters, or soft girly hands. If time is an issue, you'll just have to endure the hardship of using a digger.

John.Stitch said:
Why are some walls built with a gap down the whole height of it?
You're probably talking about expansion joints. It's to allow for expansion of the brickwork, during hot weather. You don't need to worry about this for walls less than 6 metres long.

I've always wanted to have a go on one of those diggers. Do they take much getting used to?

joe

joe-90 said:
I've always wanted to have a go on one of those diggers. Do they take much getting used to?

joe

Hi Joe,

if you have never 'had a go' of one then you will be bloomin frustrated if you get one and need to do a lot of work in a short time. I use them fairly infrequently (about once every month or two) and it still takes a good 1/2 hour to really get the hang again even tho' its been many times. Its a lot of money to spend hiring one just to have a laugh, but then if you can afford it, go ahead ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Texmex that is very helpful, I'll ask teh hire shop how much the mini diggers cost and how easy they are to use,and see if they say anything similar to what countrygardens says?

So any ideas of the depth and width of foundations. It is on a slope of maybe 5-10 degrees, the boundary wall of a garden of a house. Soil is hmm, loam at a guess. This is Bristol BTW.

I was thinking of 17" wide and 15" deep for this wall of 6'6" high.
And do I need to get it under the frost line, if its only a garden wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back